For most fans of the King of Rock and Roll, his perfectly coiffed pompadour is one of the most iconic features of his dreamy look. While the hairstyle evolved through the years, from the fifties quiff to the seventies style with sideburns, it was always huge and dark.
But believe it or not, Elvis Presley was actually a natural blonde when he was younger.
During the Virtual Elvis Week 2021 – Live from Graceland, fans were given a chance to explore Elvis Presley’s personal side at their own pace in their own space. Graceland’s Director of Archives, Angie Marchese, hosted the virtual tour of the iconic singer’s Memphis mansion.
And much to the surprise of many fans, an old photo of Elvis Presley with his natural blonde hair was on full display at the entrance hall.
“Elvis was born blonde-haired, blue-eyed. He dyed his hair black as he thought it brought out his facial features better on film,” Marchese said, adding that the photo was taken in Texas while Presley was still in the Army during the late 1950s.
It turned out the Army did not allow Presley to dye his hair. That’s why it started going back to its natural blonde color.
So, When Did He Start Dying His Hair?
Elvis Presley actually started dying his hair black during his teenage years. And in the olden days, beauty products were a high-priced luxury only a few could really afford. So, young blonde Elvis would use shoe polish as a more affordable option for hair dye.
Keeping his hair black eventually became an obsession. In fact, his passion extended to his wife, Priscilla Presley, who also dyed her hair before their wedding.
As to why did Elvis color his hair black? No one holds the true answer. But one thing is for sure, that jet black hair turned out to be as iconic as Elvis Presley songs, becoming a key, recognizable part of who he was.
- ICYMI: The CMA Fiasco Surrounding Alan Jackson’s Walk-out to Beyonce’s Performance
- What Happened To John Wayne’s Children?
- A Look Back at Anne Murray, Her Agonizing Struggle with Drugs and Divorce
- Meet Brad Paisley’s Kids He Is Raising To Be Kind and Humble
- First Time In History: Garth Brooks’ Daughter Allie Colleen Achieves Her First Top-40 Country Hit
- Who is Patrick Wayne? Meet John Wayne’s Second Son
- Top Paid Country Musicians of 2020: Billboard’s U.S. Money Makers