The year is just starting out, but it looks like Morgan Wallen is already conquering it – placing six of his tracks in the top 40 country songs for January 2023. Meanwhile, Zach Bryan sits in the top spot anew. Country stars Luke Combs, Cole Swindell, Jordan Davis, Bailey Zimmerman, and Kane Brown also help shape a list of established hitmakers and newcomers.
Well, 2023 is getting on to be quite the year for country fans. So, without further ado, let’s go through the top 40 country songs for January 2023.
1. Something In The Orange by Zach Bryan
RELATED: Top 100 Country Songs Chart 2023
Zach Bryan kicked off the year right with the rise of “Something in the Orange” to the top spot on Billboard’s Hot Country Songs chart. It’s indeed his most recognizable hit so far, and it even earned a Best Country Solo Performance nomination during the 65th Grammy Awards.
2. You Proof by Morgan Wallen
Several months after Morgan Wallen released “You Proof” in honor of his 29th birthday, the song is still sending fans into a frenzy. After all, many relate to its theme, which centers on drinking away the memory of a previous lover.
3. Wasted On You by Morgan Wallen
Here’s another heartbreak ballad by Wallen, “Wasted On You,” which fans truly know by heart. The country star shows off how good of a songwriter he is with the double entendre title making references to both the bourbon he is knocking back to drown his heartaches and the time and means he wasted on a failed relationship.
4. Thank God by Kane Brown with Katelyn Brown
Now, there’s this beautiful duet between Kane Brown and his wife, Katelyn Brown. Their adoration for each other is just evident, most especially when they performed the chart-climbing track for the first time ever during Brown’s The Drunk or Dreaming Tour in Canada.
5. Rock And A Hard Place by Bailey Zimmerman
Meanwhile, Bailey Zimmerman finds himself in the middle of two equally difficult and unpleasant choices in the song, where he chronicles a love gone bad. Should he go on despite the pain and tears, or should he begin cutting loss and endure the soreness of breaking up?
6. The Kind of Love We Make by Luke Combs
Luke Combs goes on with his streak of No. 1 singles with “The Kind of Love We Make,” which climbed to the top of Billboard’s Hot Country Songs chart. The steamy love song was also a treat to his fans as it’s the country star’s “first bedroom song.”
7. She Had Me At Heads Carolina by Cole Swindell
Cole Swindell collaborated with Thomas Rhett, Ashley Gorley, and Jesse Frasure to write this song that honors Jo Dee Messina’s 1996 classic “Head Carolina, Tails California,” as well as the ’90s country fans.
8. Son Of A Sinner by Jelly Roll
There’s perhaps nothing more honest than this country-rock-leaning track. Jelly Roll reflects on his edgy lifestyle being the “long-haired son of a sinner,” wrestling between God’s judgment and his urge to turn to alcohol and drugs.
9. What My World Spins Around by Jordan Davis
While having a conversation about the changes that had happened in his life after his marriage, Jordan Davis ended up with a hit in his hands.
10. Thought You Should Know by Morgan Wallen
Wallen has tugged at a lot of heartstrings with this song, where he acknowledges the poor decisions he made that resulted from the amount of alcohol he took. Still, one thing keeps saving him – and that’s his mother’s prayers.
11. Wait In The Truck by HARDY Featuring Lainey Wilson
HARDY and Lainey Wilson surprised everyone when they teamed up for a murder ballad in today’s modern country – and they didn’t fail to deliver. The song is a great awareness about domestic violence survivors and the prejudices they have to endure every day.
12. Going, Going, Gone by Luke Combs
Combs shows a different side of heartbreak as he likens the girl to everything that goes away in the blink of an eye – like lightning in the sky or fireworks in July.
13. Heart Like A Truck by Lainey Wilson
With her authentic country sound, Lainey Wilson compared the journey she has taken ever since she moved to Music City to a rusty old truck in “Heart Like a Truck.” It is actually one of the sixteen tracks – which Lainey Wilson co-wrote except for one – from her latest album Bell Bottom Country.
14. Blue Christmas by Kane Brown
Brown also took a crack at Elvis Presley’s classic “Blue Christmas” to help fans get into the Holiday spirit.
15. Whiskey On You by Nate Smith
Nate Smith is finally finding room on country radio ever since he gave Nashville a try fifteen years ago with the song that finds him resorting to whiskey to dull the memory of a broken relationship.
Check out some more of our latest favorites for the Top 40 country songs for January 2023.
- Down Home by Jimmie Allen
- One Thing At A Time by Morgan Wallen
- Pick Me Up by Gabby Barret
- Tennessee Orange by Megan Moroney
- Wild As Her by Corey Kent
- Half Of Me by Thomas Rhett Featuring Riley Green
- What He Didn’t Do by Carly Pearce
- Handle On You by Parker McCollum
- Country On by Luke Bryan
- Tennessee Fan by Morgan Wallen
- Out In The Middle by Zac Brown Band
- That’s What Tequila Does by Jason Aldean
- Oklahoma Smoke Show by Zach Bryan
- Human by Cody Johnson
- You Didn’t by Brett Young
- Days That End In Why by Morgan Wallen
- Burn, Burn, Burn by Zach Bryan
- Everything She Ain’t by Hailey Whitters
- Get To Gettin’ Gone by Bailey Zimmerman
- Gold by Dierks Bentley
- Next Thing You Know by Jordan Davis
- No Body by Blake Shelton
- Where It Ends by Bailey Zimmerman
- Water Under The Bridge by Sam Hunt
- Way Of The Triune Gods by Tyler Childers
How about you? Which ones are your picks for the Top 40 country songs for January 2023?
Bailey Zimmerman, Cole Swindell, Jelly Roll, Jordan Davis, Kane Brown, Katelyn Brown, Luke Combs, Morgan Wallen, Zach Bryan