Garth Brooks’ “Unanswered Prayer”
Garth Brooks is an American singer and songwriter. “Unanswered Prayer” is co-written by Pat Alger, Larry Bastian, and Garth Brooks. It was first recorded by Garth Brooks. In 2012, Brooks’ was included into the Country Music Hall of Fame. In 2011, he was also included into the Songwriters Hall of Fame.
His song “Unanswered Prayer” became a number one hit on Billboard’s Hot Country Songs chart in 1991. Further, the song is one of Brooks’ most popular of all time.
Story Behind the Song
“Unanswered Prayer” is based on Brooks and his wife Sandy’s true story. Way back when Brooks and Sandy went back to Oklahoma, Brooks’ hometown, he ran into his high school girl friend at a football game. As he introduced her wife to his ex-girlfriend, he reminisces about their past relationship. He remembered the days when he prayed for that girl and told God how much he wanted that girl to be her significant another. Time had changed when they no longer see each other for so long. As he turns back to his wife, he thanked God for not answering his original prayer. He realized that the girl she prayed for is much better than the woman God gave her.
The chorus tells the listeners that even if God didn’t answer his prayer, that doesn’t mean God doesn’t care about it. Perhaps, God will send His greatest gift.
Sometimes I thank God for unanswered prayers
Remember when you’re talkin’ to the man upstairs
That just because he doesn’t answer doesn’t mean he don’t care
Some of God’s greatest gifts are unanswered prayers
This stanza really means that even though God doesn’t answer all our prayers, he is preparing us for his best answer. He may take someone out of your life but we shouldn’t feel sad or upset. Instead, prepare yourself for God’s perfect timing. When God’s in control, don’t worry anymore because He will never disappoint you.
Just keep believing in Him and never stop praying because we will never know when great surprises will come.
Garth Brooks, Unanswered Prayer
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Willie Nelson and His Son Put A Country Twist to Pearl Jam’s “Just Breathe”
- Shania Twain and Husband Frédéric Thiébaud: The Story of Healing and Love
- Meet Dolly Parton’s Parents, Their Influences and Humble Beginnings
- Daughter Of Singer Hank Williams Jr. Dies At Age 27 In A Car Crash
- Meet Willie Nelson’s Children Including His Daughter He Only Found Out In 2012
- Jason Colacino and Katie Boyle In Their Remarkable Performance