“Rocky Top” is a classic country song that’s been recorded by a lot of artists. Furthermore, it has been used by the University of Tennessee as their fight song during college football games.
“Rocky Top” Story
Why do you think many people are fond of this song? Well, let’s find out. “Rocky Top” was penned by husband and wife songwriters Felice and Boudleaux Bryant. In the song, the narrator reminisces his time when he was at Rocky Top. He dreams of the place where there is no distraction of telephone bills and smoky smogs. In Rocky Top, he also fell in love.
Wish that I was on ol’ Rocky Top
Down in the Tennessee hills
Ain’t no smoggy smoke on Rocky Top
Ain’t no telephone bills
Basically “Rocky Top” speaks of one’s love of their homeland and dreaming of returning there.
The Writing Process
The couple checked in at the Gatlinburg Inn. It was here when the song came to life. Felice and Boudleaux Bryant were taking a break while working on a project making songs with a slow tempo. Since they think it’s depressing, they tried to write an up-tempo song. So, they came up with “Rocky Top.”
The room that the couple checked in is now preserved by the inn. Although there were some minor changes to it.
Osborne Brothers’ and Lynn Anderson’s Versions
It was the Osborne Brothers who first recorded the song in 1967. However, Lynn Anderson was the one who made it popular. She made her version reach number seventeen on the country chart. This marks the highest charting version of “Rocky Top.”
Osborne Brothers’ Version
Lynn Anderson’s Version
Where is Rocky Top?
The place mentioned in the song is only fictional. There is no such thing as Rocky Top, Tennessee. However, some suggested that the songwriters are referring to the Great Smoky Mountains.
Lynn Anderson, osborne brothers, Rocky top
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Meet the four-time divorcee, Sam Elliott’s Wife, Katharine Ross
- Meet Dolly Parton Siblings Inside Their Big Family Filled With Passion For Music
- Morgan Wallen Made History, Surpassing Garth Brooks, Billy Ray Cyrus, and More
- Shania Twain and Husband Frédéric Thiébaud: The Story of Healing and Love
- Daughter Of Singer Hank Williams Jr. Dies At Age 27 In A Car Crash
- Jason Colacino and Katie Boyle In Their Remarkable Performance