Award-winning country artist Brad Paisley covered one of the best classic hits in the ’90s entitled “He Didn’t Have to Be.”
“He Didn’t Have to Be”
It is a life-changing song penned by Brad Paisley and Kelley Lovelace. This track was recorded by Brad Paisley and it was released in August 1999 as a single from his album Who Needs Pictures. Upon the release of the song, it entered country charts and peaked at number 1 on the US Billboard Hot Country Songs chart.
“He Didn’t Have to Be” is based on Kelly Lovelace’s relationship with his stepson McCain Merren. According to Paisley, this song was probably the most life-changing song that he has ever written. He said,
“‘He Didn’t Have to Be’ was probably the most life-changing three minutes that I’ve ever written, because I really believe we wouldn’t be sitting here anymore talking,” He added. “Maybe we’d be sitting here with me having written a #1 song for somebody else, but I don’t think I’d still have a record deal without that song. It broke the ice for me with radio. It was like you could see potential in it, and that’s an important thing. I was really lucky, it wasn’t like we knew what we were doing. I just happened [to write] that with my best friend from the bottom of my heart about his situation.”
About the Song
“He Didn’t Have to Be” was inspired by the story of a son and a single mother. Whereas the single mother started dating a new man who immediately builds a relationship with. Lovelace co-penned this song based on her personal experience. The final verse of the song showed that the son is now about to become a father. As he stands next to his stepfather, he hopes to become at least half of a great father that his stepfather was to him.
Listen to Brad Paisely’s Song “He Didn’t Have to Be” below:
Brad Paisley, He Didn't Have to Be, Life Changing Song
- You Should Hear This 93-Year-Old Woman Singing “One Day at a Time”
- 10 Facts About Austin Brown of Home Free
- Flashback To Dolly Parton’s Moving Duet With Young Actress Alyvia Lind, Her Mini-Me
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Kenny Rogers’ Children: Meet the Late Country Legend’s 5 Kids
- Who Are Johnny Cash’s Children and Where Are They Now?
- The Dance That Stunned Country Music Obsessives, But Who Are They?