The story of how Luke Combs’ “When It Rains It Pours” came together – which was released as the single off his debut album, This One’s for You – is something you’d usually hear from most country songs. It involved three writers with a pack of beer, a set of guitars and one brokenhearted soul.
But little did they know that a simple meeting for a beer at a Nashville bar will turn out to be a writing session for a song that would soon become a record-breaking hit.
“When It Rains It Pours” reached the top spot of Billboard Hot Country Songs chart as well as Billboard Country Airplay chart – making it Combs’ second No. 1 country hit overall. The song was also a pop hit, charting No. 33 on Billboard Hot 100.
Story Behind The Song
Luke Combs wrote “When It Rains It Pours” with the help of his friends, songwriters Jordan Walker and Ray Fulcher.
Walker gave a glimpse on how the hit single came to life.
As he explained, the three talented songsmiths were working hard on the country ballad, but Combs – who was fresh from a breakup at that time – seemed to be a little troubled and preoccupied. As they were starting to write the song, Combs was busy replying to his ex-girlfriend’s text messages.
Then, it just hit Combs; he suggested that why don’t they just write a song about her to make her mad? So, they did!
The lyrics tell the tale of a man who was dumped by his lover. But rather than weeping in his beer over a relationship’s tragic end, he found a stroke of good luck, like winning a “hundred bucks on a scratch-off ticket” and a “four-day, three-night beach vacation.”
Even though it was a breakup song, the three talented songsmiths don’t want the song to be so sad and depressing, so they channel some humor into it.
Enjoy “When It Rains It Pours” by Luke Combs by playing the video below.
- Charley Pride’s Son Honors Dad with “Kiss An Angel Good Mornin'”
- ICYMI: The CMA Fiasco Surrounding Alan Jackson’s Walk-out to Beyonce’s Performance
- First Time In History: Garth Brooks’ Daughter Allie Colleen Achieves Her First Top-40 Country Hit
- Whatever Happened To Eddie Rabbitt?
- The ‘Duck Dynasty’ stars: Where is the Robertson Family now?
- The Reba McEntire and Narvel Blackstock Split: Tragic Ending After 26 Years of Marriage
- “The Greatest Man I Never Knew”, Rimes’ Tribute That Made Reba Cry