About the Song
Released in October 1988, “I Sang Dixie” is a country song penned and originally recorded by Kentucky native Dwight Yoakam. This three-minute song was produced by American guitarist and music producer Pete Anderson and released by the label Reprise 27715. It is the second single on his 1988 album Buenas Noches from a Lonely Room.
“I Sang Dixie” entered the music charts just after its release in October 1988. It went on to place no. 1 on the Billboard Hot Country Songs the following year on February 25. In addition, it also fared well on the year-end charts. It placed no. 6 on the Canadian RPM Country Tracks while no. 23 on the Billboard Country Songs.
Story Behind the Song
Although a proud West Coast cowpunk, Dwight Yoakam stays as a Southern country boy. With its fiddle and true Southern sound, “I Sang Dixie” expresses a sorrowful message as a Civil War lament. Whereas, it recounts a vagabond settler’s forlorn death on an old street in Los Angeles.
The theme of the song revolves around a man witnessing the despondent death of a Southern man while singing “Dixie” to comfort him. He then narrates how other people just pass by and walk on ignoring the man’s suffering.
The song concludes with a sad mellow tune with a farewell remark saying:
“No more pain, and now he’s safe back home in Dixie.”
“I Sang Dixie” would definitely be one of Yoakam’s several nostalgic and homesick songs he wrote inspired by his personal visits back home. On the other hand, Pete Anderson, the song producer, considered it as a hole card. He said:
“I thought it was his best song… a Number One record.”
Watch Dwight Yoakam perform his 1988 hit “I Sang Dixie” below:
Any thoughts folks? Tell us what you think. Don’t forget to like and share this post. Share the country spirit folks! For more country reads, visit our website. Follow us also on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Dwight Yoakam, I Sang Dixie
- Narvel Blackstock’s New Girlfriend Is His Ex-Wife’s Close Friend
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- What Happened to Blake Shelton’s First Wife, Kaynette Williams
- The Reba McEntire and Narvel Blackstock Split: Tragic Ending After 26 Years of Marriage
- Five Husbands Later, Lorrie Morgan Finally Found The Love Of Her Life
- The Dance That Stunned Country Music Obsessives, But Who Are They?
- Get to Know Jeff Dunham’s Children and His Life as a Father