The Original Version of “Summertime Blues”
Eddie Cochran wrote the song in 1958 with Jerry Capehart. On the same year, he recorded the song as the A-side to his single “Love Again.” Cochran’s single reached number eight on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. In addition, it entered various charts outside of the US. Cochran’s song did not only secure a spot on the chart, but it has also been inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame. Furthermore, “Summertime Blues” was chosen by Rolling Stone as one of the greatest songs of all time.
“Summertime Blues” was originally recorded into a rock and roll style of music. Cochran, a rockabilly artist, does all the vocals of the song. In addition, he performed the guitar part of the song all by himself.
The Song’s Content
Cochran’s single tells the story of a young man who has to deal with his boss, parents, and congressman. He wanted to enjoy summer, but they make it difficult for him. As a result, he has the summertime blues as he says.
Sometimes I wonder what I’m a gonna do
But there ain’t no cure for the summertime blues
“Summertime Blues” has been covered by many artists from different genres, including The Beach Boys, Mick Farren, Johnny Chester, Alan Jackson, and more.
Alan Jackson’s Rendition
Alan Jackson recorded the song into a country version. He is the only country artist whose cover entered the country chart. Furthermore, it placed at number four on the Bubbling Under Hot 100 chart. Jackson covered the song in 1994 for his fifth studio album Who I Am. In addition, he received a positive review for his rendition of “Summertime Blues.”
Alan Jackson, Eddie Cochran, Summertime Blues
- Remembering the Creepy Death of Johnny Horton 59 Years Ago
- Yoakam Joins Stapleton on Stage for “Seven Spanish Angels”
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- What Happened To George Strait’s Daughter Jennifer Strait
- Paula Nelson Joins her Father for an Amazing Rendition of “Have You Ever Seen the Rain”
- Top 100 Country Songs Chart 2021
- Jenny Gill is Hoping to Pave Her Own Musical Path – Meet Her Today