Stand by Me is one of the most beloved classics of our time and has been covered time and time again. For this rendition, country artist Mickey Gilley has provided us with a stunning rendition, featured in the movie Urban Cowboy.
Mickey Gilley’s Rendition
The original song was by Ben E. King, a singer-songwriter who was inspired to update the early 20th-century gospel hymn by Charles Albert Tindley. The original gospel was based around a psalm:
“will not we fear, though the Earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea.”
According to the documentary History of Rock ‘n’ Roll. King had no intention of recording the song himself. His first intention was for the song to go to The Drifters, an R&B Doo-whoop soul group. However, when they passed on it, he had the idea to record it himself.
Gilley released his version of the song in 1980, and it was included in both the album and the movie called Urban Cowboy. It was considered his eighth #1 on the US Country charts and also received #22 on the US Hot 100. It added to his other hits such as covers of the songs “Bring It On Home To Me,” “Window Up Above,” and “City Lights.”
His recent moves in country music, Gilley teamed up with longtime friend Troy Payne to record Two Old Cats, a record containing 13 duets.
Urban Cowboy is a 1980 American romantic drama film. The plot consists of a love-hate relationship between Buford Davis and Sissy. The film captured the late 1970’s and early 1980’s popularity of country music. Much of the action centers around activities at Gilley’s Club, a football-field-sized honky-tonk in Texas.
Listen to the amazing rendition below!
Want to make your everyday country? You can visit us at our official Facebook page!
classic country, Mickey Giley, stand by me, Urban Cowboy
- Crystal Gayle Sings About Love And Heartbreak in “Til I Gain Control Again”
- Narvel Blackstock’s New Girlfriend Is His Ex-Wife’s Close Friend
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Where is Jason Aldean’s First Wife, Jessica Ussery Now?
- Get to Know Hannah Dasher, An Uprising Country Rock Star
- The Dance That Stunned Country Music Obsessives, But Who Are They?
- Who Are Johnny Cash’s Children and Where Are They Now?