Josh Turner has a repertoire of great gospel songs in his career. The country singer has released two gospel albums, one from back in 2013 and his recent I Serve a Savior. His latest album was released on October 2018, and it draws a lot of attention because of his revival of classic gospel hymns like “Amazing Grace” and “How Great Thou Art.” The singer said he wanted to go back to his gospel roots that is why he decided to make an album praising the Lord. One of the tracks in his album includes his version of “I Saw the Light,” which was originally performed by country legend Hank Williams.
Josh Turner Wins His First Dove Awards
Josh Turner’s recent album was well received by the critics because of his refreshing take on classic gospel hymns. With that said, the Dove Awards finally acknowledged the efforts of the singer with his first win. The singer won the category for Bluegrass/Country/Roots Recorded Song of the Year for his rendition of “I Saw the Light.” In the 5oth Annual Dove Awards, the singer got a total of three nominations, with one win.
His other two nominations were for his rendition of “How Great Thou Art” for Southern Gospel Recorded Song of the Year and Bluegrass/Country/Roots Album of the Year for his gospel album. He may not have won those two but his one win was already big for him.
Josh Turner explains why he chose to do a rendition of the classic hymn:
“Hank focused a lot on the blues aspect of human emotion and the loneliness and the heartache and heartbreak and all that. I like to think he would appreciate what I’ve done with this song, because it adds that element to a song that has always sounded upbeat and happy and positive.”
Turner is a huge fan of the late Hank Williams and this award just rewards him and his effort of doing the gospel track.
Check out the song here:
i saw the light, Josh Turner
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Another Jaw-Dropping Performance by Merle Haggards’ Sons
- Fans Coming Up To Chris Young With Tears In Their Eyes After Listening to “Drowning”
- “Down to the River to Pray:” The Perfect Song for the Movie O Brother, Where Art Thou?
- Get Mushy With These 15 Country Songs For Your Boyfriend
- Meet Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell’s Kids Inside Their Blended Family
- Where are the Mandrell Sisters Now after Four Decades?