The track was penned by Prine himself together with Phil Spector. They wrote it back in the ‘70s. The singer decided to release it in his album The Tree of Forgiveness, his newest release after 13 years of break.
John Prine’s “God Only Knows”
The reason why the track was only released now was that because John had to think of an appropriate title. In an interview, John Prine said:
“When I was back out in LA, I went to see him to play him the track and before I left that night we wrote God Only Knows. I never thought it was totally finished so I took it out for this record and finished it.”
The singer was happy with the outcome of the recording session. He was joined by Jason Isabell and Amanda Shires, and their version was what he expected the song to be.
John Prine narrates the story of a person who is laughing in the face of mortality. “God Only Knows” is a song that will make you trust in the Lord’s word. He sure does know everything, so when we are about to face death, it will not scare us. A lot of people believe that everything happens in God’s will, and we all should ask for His guidance.
The will of the Lord is powerful, and He knows what is best for us. Having a strong faith can also help us in facing obstacles, just like what John Prine did in this track.
Listen to his song here:
For your daily dose of country music stories, check out our official Facebook page.
God Only Knows, John Prine
- Remembering the Creepy Death of Johnny Horton 59 Years Ago
- What Happened To George Strait’s Daughter Jennifer Strait
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Surviving Racism, Infidelity: Meet Vivian Liberto Cash
- Paula Nelson Joins her Father for an Amazing Rendition of “Have You Ever Seen the Rain”
- Meet Faith Hill’s Daughters: All Grown Up and Glowed Up
- Get Mushy With These 15 Country Songs For Your Boyfriend