“Amanda” is one of the classic songs that was recorded by many great artists. It has words that are captivating, and it never gets old. It doesn’t matter how many times this song is covered by different artists, it will always be a timeless piece.
Don Williams Version of “Amanda”
The song was written in 1973 by one of the greatest songwriters, Bob McDill. It was first recorded by Don Williams on the same year. Williams made his recording the B-side of his album Volume 1.
Williams’ smooth baritone voice made the song sound soothing to the ear. He truly deserves the title “Gentle Giant.” Not only are his vocals gentle but also the way he delivers each word in the song.
Despite having a wonderful version of “Amanda,” Williams’ song only hit the Billboard Country chart at number thirty-three.
Waylon Jennings’ Rendition
A year after Williams released his recording of “Amanda,” Waylon Jennings decided to cover the song. He included it on his album The Ramblin’ Man. However, Jennings’ rendition was not released as a single, unlike his recordings of “I’m a Ramblin’ Man” and “Rainy Day Woman.”
When Jennings’ cover of “Amanda” was included on his first compilation album, Greatest Hits, the song was finally released as a single. It was only in 1979 when Jennings’ song was pushed to the spotlight. It placed at number one on the Billboard Hot Country chart and made an appearance on the Hot 100 and Adult Contemporary charts. In addition, Jennings’ scored a spot on the Canadian chart too.
Here’s Waylon Jennings version of “Amanda.”
Who Sang it Better?
Both artists are great, and they have delivered the song in their own way but still managed to keep the song as it really is. It’s not easy to compare their renditions for they are both truly great artists. Do you agree?
amanda, don williams, Waylon Jennings
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Meet the four-time divorcee, Sam Elliott’s Wife, Katharine Ross
- Shania Twain and Husband Frédéric Thiébaud: The Story of Healing and Love
- Meet Dolly Parton Siblings Inside Their Big Family Filled With Passion For Music
- Morgan Wallen Made History, Surpassing Garth Brooks, Billy Ray Cyrus, and More
- Daughter Of Singer Hank Williams Jr. Dies At Age 27 In A Car Crash
- A Look Back at Anne Murray, Her Agonizing Struggle with Drugs and Divorce