This year is ending with a bang for the music industry, with hit singles from two young stars leading the top 40 country songs for December 2020.
Morgan Wallen’s “More Than My Hometown” is still holding the top spot as strong as it did last month. The Tennessee native’s success is without a doubt the latest step in the slowly evolving story of country music as the song has ascended to the spot of Billboard’s Country Airplay. For years, the genre has been lagging behind pop and even rock when it comes to making a shift to streaming – with most country fans prefer downloading their favorite albums.
Record-breaking country superstar Luke Combs comes second with a love song for his wife.
Big winners at the 54th CMA Awards – like Entertainer of the Year Eric Church, along with Maren Morris and Dan + Shay – are also on this list. Meanwhile, newcomers Hardy, Niko Moon, and Parker McCollum continue to climb as well. Scotty McCreery, Miranda Lambert, Dylan Scott, and Jake Owen all have songs rising in December too.
Do you want to know if your favorite song made it to the list? Keep on reading to find out.
1. “More Than My Hometown” by Morgan Wallen
Morgan Wallen’s heartfelt ode to ill-fated small-town love is still leading this month’s top country songs. Even though it took twenty-six weeks for “More Than My Hometown” to arrive at its final destination, it is the country singer’s fastest climb to the top.
“Thank you, country radio, my incredible fans, and my relentless team for making this our fourth consecutive No. 1,” Wallen expressed his gratitude for the song’s success. “Also, thank you to my co-writers for collaborating with me on this song and for just being some damn good friends.”
2. “Better Together” by Luke Combs
The song Luke Combs wrote two and a half years ago back in the mountains of his home state North Carolina, made it to the second spot this month. The country superstar actually wrote it as a love letter to his fiancée, Nicole Hocking. And because of its beautifully-written lyrics and the emotion behind it all, it’s already being dubbed as “next year’s top wedding song” by several outlets.
“Better Together” is the fifth single from Combs album What You See Is What You Get, which took home the award for Album of the Year at both the CMA & ACM Awards in 2020.
3. “I Should Probably Go to Bed” by Dan + Shay
The moment you’ll hear Dan + Shay’s latest country ballad, “I Should Probably Go To Bed,” it’ll absolutely stick in your head for a while – so consider yourself warned. The catchy song sings the one big truth that it’s sometimes better to call it a night than to make that one phone call to a former flame.
During the recent American Music Awards on November 22, 2020, in Los Angeles, California, the country-pop duo won big – bringing home awards from three categories. And to celebrate the night, Dan + Shay performed “I Should Probably Go to Bed,” featuring Dan Smyers on the piano while Shay Mooney stood on the side and sang the powerful vocals. It’s a performance you will surely not easily forget.
4. “Happy Anywhere” by Blake Shelton (Feat. Gwen Stefani)
Superstar couple Blake Shelton and Gwen Stefani definitely have plenty to celebrate as the year wraps up. This includes another No. 1 song as the soon-to-be husband and wife have just notched their second country radio chart-topper with “Happy Anywhere,” scoring back-to-back hits.
“I don’t know how the hell this keeps happening, but I couldn’t be more grateful that it does,” Shelton said about the song’s latest success. “Thank you to the songwriters, the music makers, the fans… thank you to my team and to country radio… and, of course, thank you to the incredible Gwen Stefani.”
5. “One Beer” by Hardy (Feat. Lauren Alaina and Devin Dawson)
Hardy’s “One Beer” has finally hit the top spot on the charts, helping the country up-and-comer earn his first No. 1 single as a recording artist.
The track may sound like another drinking-song, but it’s actually how life can go wrong and right at the same time as it tells the tale of a young couple who finds their lives change with an unexpected pregnancy. Despite its specific nature, the song is breathtaking enough.
6. “Pretty Heart” by Parker McCollum
Guess it’s safe to say that Parker McCollum is ‘sitting-pretty’ at the top of the country charts as he just scored his first No. 1 hit. His debut single, “Pretty Heart,” has finally ascended to No. 1 spot of the Billboard Country Airplay chart.
“To have this song really and truly succeed on big time radio is a dream come true,” McCollum said in a statement. “And for it to happen during such an insanely crazy year makes it just that much more special.”
“Pretty Heart” is included on McCollum’s latest EP Hollywood Gold, which was named after his grandfather’s horse.
7. “Hole In the Bottle” by Kelsea Ballerini
Kelsea Ballerini’s first-ever drinking song is also soaring.
When Ballerini wrote her third album, Kelsea, the songs were meant to reflect “this introspective, emotional journey of figuring out who I am,” she said. And the album did just that, but the country songstress never expected its most popular single to be “Hole In The Bottle,” a lighthearted outlier about running out of wine.
8. “Good Time” by Niko Moon
Niko Moon is also having the best time of his life as he climbs the country music charts with his debut single, “Good Time” – the title track of his EP of the same name.
“‘Good Time,’ for me, is about having a good time in its simplest form,” Moon explained. “I got this mantra that I like to live by, and it’s just this glass half full, have a good time…that was really the foundation of the album, and, that’s what I think Good Time is.”
And it seems like many fans agree with Moon as the song is now a Top 15 hit on country radio.
9. “Starting Over” by Chris Stapleton
The five-time Grammy winner has set his sight on a better horizon with his song “Starting Over.” The song features inherent optimism and a dreamy feel for a new day and, just like what its title implies, a fresh start.
“There’s hope in having to start over,” Stapleton said. “Within that idea, there’s the promise of making something a little better.”
The song is the title track of Stapleton’s first album in three years.
10. “Wine, Beer, Whiskey” by Little Big Town
Little Big Town serves up another successful single from their country chart-topping album, Nightfall, as the upbeat “Wine, Beer, Whiskey” climbs its way up the charts.
Featuring lead vocals by the group’s Jimi Westbrook and the quartet’s usual rich harmonies, the song is definitely starting to be a favorite out on the road.
- “Ain’t Always the Cowboy” by Jon Pardi
- “What’s Your Country Song” by Thomas Rhett
- “Lovin’ on You” by Luke Combs
- “One of Them Girls” by Lee Brice
- “Big, Big Plans” by Chris Lane
- “All Night” by Brothers Osborne
- “7 Summers” by Morgan Wallen
- “Somebody Like That” by Tenille Arts
- “Just the Way” by Parmalee and Blanco Brown
- “Breaking Up Was Easy in the 90s” by Sam Hunt
- “The Good Ones” by Gabby Barrett
- “Happy Does” by Kenny Chesney
- “One Too Many” by Keith Urban (Feat. Pink)
- “Almost Maybes” by Jordan Davis
- “Down to One” by Luke Bryan
- “Beers and Sunshine” by Darius Rucker
- “How They Remember You” by Rascal Flatts
- “Champagne Night” by Lady A
- “Momma’s House” by Dustin Lynch
- “You Time” by Scotty McCreery
- “Hell of a View” by Eric Church
- “Settling Down” by Miranda Lambert
- “Gone” by Dierks Bentley
- “Hard Days” by Brantley Gilbert
- “Nobody” by Dylan Scott
- “Lady” by Brett Young
- “Just About Over You” by Priscilla Block
- “To Hell & Back” by Maren Morris
- “Made for You” by Jake Owen
- “Long Live” by Florida Georgia Line
So, what do you think of our top 40 country songs in December 2020? Did you find your favorite song on the list?
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Meet Brad Paisley’s Kids He Is Raising To Be Kind and Humble
- Alan Jackson’s New Album ‘Where Have You Gone’ Is Almost Here and We’re Excited!
- Where are the Mandrell Sisters Now after Four Decades?
- Where is Jason Aldean’s First Wife, Jessica Ussery Now?
- Meet The Sweet Lily Pearl Black, Clint Black’s Only Daughter
- Garth Brooks’ Daughters All Turned Up To Be These Gorgeous. Meet Them Here!