For someone who was banned from appearing at Sunday’s Billboard Music Awards, Morgan Wallen definitely found major awards success.
The embattled country crooner, who was not allowed to perform, present, or accept any awards at this year’s ceremony after being caught on camera making racist remarks in February, won three major awards ahead of the star-studded event at Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles.
Nominated in six categories, the “Whiskey Glasses” singer won Top Country Artist, Top Country Male Artist, and Top Country Album for the chart-topping “Dangerous: The Double Album.” These were the first awards Wallen has won since his leaked video sparked an online backlash.
Before the show was broadcasted, producers emphasized in their statement that the contenders were determined according to their Billboard charts, including their music sales, streaming platform statistics, radio airplay, and social engagement. They were not selected by a voting panel or membership organization.
Despite the backlash, most of Morgan’s fans have stuck by him and never stopped supporting him – Morgan Wallen’s songs went on ranking high on country music charts.
The 28-year-old Tennessee native previously apologized for the racial slur – saying he was “embarrassed and sorry.” He has since stepped away from the spotlight and announced that he would not perform on previously scheduled tour dates.
The country singer has also not yet commented on his Billboard Music Award wins as of writing, but he posted an Instagram video a day before the ceremony. Wallen performed on an acoustic guitar a brand-new song, “Thought You Should Know,” revealing he wrote it a while ago with his mom in his mind. Wallen added that it “seemed like an appropriate time to share it.”
- Garth Brooks’ Daughters All Turned Up To Be These Gorgeous. Meet Them Here!
- Surviving Racism, Infidelity: Meet Vivian Liberto Cash
- Narvel Blackstock’s New Girlfriend Is His Ex-Wife’s Close Friend
- Daughter Of Singer Hank Williams Jr. Dies At Age 27 In A Car Crash
- Who Are Johnny Cash’s Children and Where Are They Now?
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Frédéric Thiébaud: 12 Facts about Shania Twain’s Husband