A romantic story, city blues, plus a hint of weed are just some of the most tried-and-tested songwriting formulas a lot have followed, but for Lukas Nelson & Promise of the Real’s “Just Outside of Austin,” – it comes naturally.
Written solely by Lukas, Willie Nelson’s son managed to crosswords these figures of speech – made famous by his legendary father – into something fresh! The dreamy track is actually an ode to Austin, Texas – at the same time celebrating family, home, and the joys of a simple life. It was recorded for the band’s self-titled album in 2017, wherein Lukas carved out his own style – ditching the blues-inspired licks for another level of country-pop.
In 2018, Lukas released an intimate music video for “Just Outside of Austin,” where he was joined by his father, Willie Nelson, for an informal jam. Lukas sang lead vocals on the song while his father played the guitar with him at the front of a stone hearth. At some points of the song, candid shots of the Nelson family ranch in Luck, Texas, flashes by. The ranch is where Lukas spent most of his childhood days whenever they’re not in Maui, Hawaii.
The homey video also captured a poignant scene of a father and son grasping hands, smiling at the camera.
This is just one of the many collaborations between Lukas and his father. In fact, Lukas’ profile skyrocketed when he contributed three songs and pristine vocals to Willie Nelson’s album, Heroes, in 2012. And their voices – which are almost identical – heavenly blended.
Currently, the father and son are making most of their time quarantining together – playing a lot of chess and dominoes and writing music.
You can listen to Lukas Nelson & Promise of the Real‘s “Just Outside of Austin” in the video below.
Lukas Nelson, Lukas Nelson & Promise Of The Real
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Little Girl Superbly Delivers Willie Nelson’s “Always on My Mind”
- Daughter Of Singer Hank Williams Jr. Dies At Age 27 In A Car Crash
- Narvel Blackstock’s New Girlfriend Is His Ex-Wife’s Close Friend
- Patsy Cline’s Death Was the Most Tragic Day in Music History
- Get Mushy With These 15 Country Songs For Your Boyfriend
- The Dance That Stunned Country Music Obsessives, But Who Are They?