Edgar Leon Rausch, known as “the voice” of the seminal western swing band Bob Wills & His Texas Playboys, has died at the age of 91.
This is according to the Bob Wills Facebook Page, where it was posted that Rausch died on Tuesday morning in Fort Worth, Texas.
“Edgar Leon Rausch, the beloved Voice of the Texas Playboys for over 60 years, passed away this morning in Fort Worth, Texas. Yes, our hearts are broken, as will be the hearts of the thousands of music fans he touched and influenced over his amazing career when they hear this news. Our band would not exist without Leon carrying the Texas Playboys torch all these years and giving us the blessing to carry it on. We are sad and send prayers of peace to his family and friends, most especially the amazing Vonda Rausch, who was by his side for 69 of Leon’s 91 years.”
The post continued to promise to let Rausch’s legacy live on.
“We will find peace and healing by playing and performing the music that Leon helped immortalize. When an entertainer of Leon’s stature and caliber pass away we are fortunate because they leave a body of work that we can enjoy for generations to come. A lot of us will be enjoying Leon’s body of work today and for years to come as we reflect on his life and legacy. Godspeed and well done sir.”
Leon Rausch and The Texas Playboys
Rausch joined the Playboys in 1958, after its peak. He performed with the Texas Playboys until the mid-1960s, when he left to launch his own group. But, he rejoined his former bandmates in 1973 in time to record their album “For the Last Time.”
Following Wills’ death in 1975, Rausch continued to perform with the original group until their final concert in 1986.
Rausch is survived by his wife Vonda. The couple had been married for 69 years.
Leon Rausch, Stay a little Longer, Texas Playboys
- Ryan Upchurch Responds to Luke Combs’ Apology and Calls Him ‘F—ing Sissy’
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- What Happened To George Strait’s Daughter Jennifer Strait
- Who Are Johnny Cash’s Children and Where Are They Now?
- Where are the Mandrell Sisters Now after Four Decades?
- The Dance That Stunned Country Music Obsessives, But Who Are They?
- Meet Willie Nelson’s Children Including His Daughter He Only Found Out In 2012