Johnny Horton left us at the peak of his career on November 5, 1960. As a tribute, we are going to listen to 5 of his greatest hits today.
John Gale “Johnny” Horton was born in Los Angeles and was also known as “The Singing Fisherman.” He was reared in Rusk, Cherokee County, Texas. His family often traveled to California to work as migrant fruit pickers.
He was a star athlete and was offered basketball scholarships by 26 schools.
His Greatest Hits
1. “The Battle of New Orleans”
It was written by Jimmy Driftwood from the perspective of an American soldier that tells the comical tale of the battle. He wrote the song in an attempt to get students interested in learning history.
The song is often played during North American sporting events and home games of the National Hockey League’s Calgary Flames.
2. “When It’s Springtime In Alaska (It’s Forty Below)”
The song was released as a single in 1959 by Johnny Horton and it spent twenty-three weeks on the country chart.
Johnny Horton’s close friend Johnny Cash stepped up during the early ‘60s when Columbia records issued a series of best releases by Horton, including covers recorded as a tribute to Johnny Horton.
3. “Sink the Bismarck”
“Sink the Bismarck” was written and performed by Johnny Horton. It was inspired and intended as a novelty song around the 1960 film Sink the Bismarck!
4. “North to Alaska”
It was written by Tillman Franks and Johnny Horton and it reached No. 4 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart and No.8 on Norway Singles Chart.
5. “Honky Tonk Man”
The song was released in 1956 as his debut single on Columbia Records. It reached No.9 on the U.S. country singles charts.
Johnny Horton, The Battle of New Orleans, When It's Springtime in Alaska
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Marie Osmond’s Children: Meet The Eight Of Them Here!
- Chris Stapleton Kids: Get To Know The Country Powerhouse’s Five Children
- Freddy Fender’s “Before The Next Teardrop Falls” Is Romantic Enough To Wreck You
- Get Mushy With These 15 Country Songs For Your Boyfriend
- Trace Adkins And Travis Tritt In An Irresistible Performance of “Jailhouse Rock”
- Garth Brooks’ Daughters All Turned Up To Be These Gorgeous. Meet Them Here!