The track is not originally from the singer. Reeves said that he heard it from Billy Brown and he loved the performance. He then decided to do a version of his own making it more country. His rendition gained the recognition of country and pop fans.
Jim Reeves’ Song is Country and Pop
Back then, there is a thin line between country music and pop music. This track is one of those classics that broke the boundaries of genre. Jim Reeves’ version of the song may be considered country because of how it was performed. However, the arrangement and vocal chorus of the song is more on the pop territory. No matter what the case is, everyone loved the song because it is easy to relate to.
The track gained worldwide fame. It ranked number 1 on the Australian, Canadian, and Norwegian Singles Chart. It also spent 14 consecutive weeks at the top of the Hot Country singles making it one of the most listened songs during that time.
Put your sweet lips a little closer to the phone
Let’s pretend that we’re together, all alone
A lot of people fell in love with the song because of its strong start. The story is about a man talking to his lover when suddenly, he heard another voice. He realized that the one he loves is with another man and this is where the story gets a little bit interesting.
The man in the song is willing to fight for his love. He would not back down even if there is the scary part that the woman left him and found another man. You got to respect anyone who is willing to lay down everything and fight for the person they love. The song is a classic and we can all learn from it.
Listen to Jim Reeves’ performance here:
For more country stories, check out our official Facebook page.
billy brown, Classic Song, he'll have to go, Jim Reeves
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Willie Nelson and His Son Put A Country Twist to Pearl Jam’s “Just Breathe”
- Shania Twain and Husband Frédéric Thiébaud: The Story of Healing and Love
- Meet Dolly Parton’s Parents, Their Influences and Humble Beginnings
- Daughter Of Singer Hank Williams Jr. Dies At Age 27 In A Car Crash
- Meet Willie Nelson’s Children Including His Daughter He Only Found Out In 2012
- Jason Colacino and Katie Boyle In Their Remarkable Performance