Today is the day when country legend Hank Williams was born. He may have lived a short life but his contribution to the country music industry is incomparable. He is the musician behind classic country hits such as “Cold, Cold Heart,” “Your Cheatin’ Heart,” “Hey, Good Lookin’,” and “I’ll Never Get Out of This World Alive.”
Hank is regarded as the first country superstar because of the level of fame he got back then. His hit songs were played on the radio and even after his death, his legacy remains.
Hank Williams Leaving a Mark
At an early age, Hank already knew what kind of career he will take. He learned to play the guitar at the age of 8 and he was just 13 when he had his radio debut. He learned music from his environment and this helped him form his own band, Hank Williams and his Drifting Cowboys. Williams already had the smarts for music and this was further proven when he had written his first hit song.
After his death, Williams inspired tons of musicians who then became a legend in their own right. Artists such as Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, George Jones, Bob Dylan, Jerry Lee Lewis, and many others were inspired by Hank. The singer recorded 35 singles that were on the top 10 of the country Billboard chart. This just proves why he is considered a legendary artist.
Recognition and Awards
Hank Williams was also recognized by several organizations. He was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and Songwriters Hall of Fame. He was even awarded a Pulitzer Prize for special citation on his brilliance in songwriting.
The singer also got his Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award back in 1987. His iconic performance with his son Hank Williams Jr. was also heavily awarded by the Grammy’s, CMA, and ACM. The performance was made possible with the help of technology and a touch of editing.
Listen to one of Williams’ classic hit here:
birthday, country legend, hank williams, Legacy
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Willie Nelson and His Son Put A Country Twist to Pearl Jam’s “Just Breathe”
- Shania Twain and Husband Frédéric Thiébaud: The Story of Healing and Love
- Meet Dolly Parton’s Parents, Their Influences and Humble Beginnings
- Daughter Of Singer Hank Williams Jr. Dies At Age 27 In A Car Crash
- Meet Willie Nelson’s Children Including His Daughter He Only Found Out In 2012
- Jason Colacino and Katie Boyle In Their Remarkable Performance