A lot would say that Dwight Yoakam is an underrated country singer. He became popular back in the ’80s when he revived the hillbilly/honky-tonk type of country brand. Back then, a lot of the country artists were leaning towards ‘Urban Cowboy’ music.
The country singer performed outside of the traditional country music that was leaning towards the punk rock genre. This move from Dwight made him diversified with his fans, and he also introduced them to country music. One of his major hits was this honky-tonk song called “Guitars, Cadillacs.”
Behind Dwight Yoakam’s “Guitars, Cadillacs”
Dwight Yoakam wrote this track himself alongside all of his other music. This was a part of his debut album which is also titled as Guitars, Cadillacs, Etc., Etc. Pete Anderson was a huge help in the making of the album. He provided some ideas music-wise, played the guitar, and even sang in the background. In an interview, Anderson recalled how they met:
“I was a guitar player for hire in the early ’80s in Los Angeles, and I played mostly country music. I played some blues gigs and kind of roots rock Americana gigs. He needed a guitar player to play a gig, and we played together. He was playing some of his original songs and I got to hear the songs and said..Man, these are really good songs.”
The two have been close ever since and have done collaborations from left to right. They did not have enough money so they had to use a cheap recording studio to produce the album. They were quite surprised by the outcome of the album because it was a huge success. Through this, they caught the attention of huge labels such as the Warner Brothers. That was how they made it to mainstream country.
Listen to Dwight Yoakam’s song here:
For your daily dose of country music stories, check our official Facebook page.
cadillacs, debut album, Dwight Yoakam, guitars, pete anderson
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Meet Dolly Parton Siblings Inside Their Big Family Filled With Passion For Music
- Morgan Wallen Made History, Surpassing Garth Brooks, Billy Ray Cyrus, and More
- Shania Twain and Husband Frédéric Thiébaud: The Story of Healing and Love
- 15 Top Kenny Chesney Songs Over 25 Years of Country Music
- Daughter Of Singer Hank Williams Jr. Dies At Age 27 In A Car Crash
- Meet the four-time divorcee, Sam Elliott’s Wife, Katharine Ross