This weekend’s Newport Folk Festival had some country royalty gracing their stage! When Saturday, the 27th of July rolled in, the country queen herself, Dolly Parton showed up and graced everybody with extra sass and talent.
Dolly Parton’s Surprise
Parton graced the stage as part of a group comprised of Brandi Carlile, Amanda Shires, Maren Morris, and Natalie Hemby. Known as the Highwomen, Parton definitely added some sass on the country female supergroup.
The queen of country paraded on stage in the delight of the crowd, after which, the women performed a medley of Parton’s classics such as Jolene, Because I’m a Woman, and Eagle When She Flies. Carlile also got to duet with Parton on her iconic “I Will Always Love you.” And to finish off the fun-filled performance, everyone chimed in on her hit “9 to 5.”
Prior to Parton surprising everyone at the festival, she surprised the Highwomen first. She gathered the visibly moved artists and rehearsed with them her 1991 ballad Eagle When She Flies.
However, Parton wasn’t the only special guest there. Sheryl Crow, Lucy Dacus, and Magge Rogers joined in on all the fun and excitement as well.
The Highwomen have already released songs from their upcoming self-titled EP. The group’s “Redesiigning Women,” and “Crowded Tables” are out now.
The Highwomen’s self-titled album will be released on the 6th of September. You can pre-order their album, and order some amazing merchandise here. Portions of the proceeds from the bundle sales will benefit She Is The Music, a non-profit committed to making the music a more diverse, inclusive, and female-driven landscape.
The group will make their television debut on the 30th of July on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon.
The Newport Folk Festival will run through Sunday, the 28th of July.
Want more fresh country news? You can visit us at our official Facebook page!
Dolly Parton, Newport Festival, The Highwomen
- The Song That Launched Tom T. Hall as The Storyteller That He Is: “A Week In A Country Jail”
- How Lynn Anderson Turned “Rose Garden” Into A Big Hit Worldwide
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Here’s How The Chart-Topper “Don’t Let Me Cross Over” Became A Country Music Standard
- You’ll Definitely Relate to Ronnie Milsap’s “What A Difference You’ve Made In My Life”
- Narvel Blackstock’s New Girlfriend Is His Ex-Wife’s Close Friend
- Get Mushy With These 15 Country Songs For Your Boyfriend