Joe Diffie, an icon to many country fans for his No. 1 hit string in the 1990s, died of coronavirus-related complications, a spokesperson revealed on Sunday afternoon. He was 61 years old.
“Grammy-winning country music legend Joe Diffie passed away today, Sunday, March 29, from complications of coronavirus (COVID-19),” the statement read. “His family respects their privacy at this time.”
Joe Diffie has been a member of the Grand Ole Opry for 25 years and is a household name for any country fan who came of age listening to the format in the 1990s. He had over 20 top 10 country hits, five of which went to No. 1 (“If the Devil Danced In Empty Pockets,” “Home,” “Third Rock from the Sun,” “Bigger Than The Beatles” and “Pickup Man”). Two of his 13 albums went platinum, and two were certified gold.
Joe Diffie officially intended to release his first official studio album in seven years, “I Got This.” Last year a special vinyl release, named “Joe, Joe, Joe Diffie,” was released after the Aldean song.
Joe Diffie Dead: Country Stars Mourn the Iconic Singer’s Death
Country music mourned Joe Diffie’s death, the voice behind such hits as “Pickup Man” and “John Deere Green.”
Scroll down to see how some country stars are remembering Joe.
Brad Paisley shared on Twitter that he is “devastated by the loss of my friend.”
“Oh my God. One of the all-time GREAT vocalists. Joe Diffie was my friend. RIP, buddy,” Trace Adkins wrote on Twitter.
“Country music lost a legend today. Joe Diffie was one of the greats.” Luke Bryan wrote on Twitter.
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Willie Nelson and His Son Put A Country Twist to Pearl Jam’s “Just Breathe”
- Shania Twain and Husband Frédéric Thiébaud: The Story of Healing and Love
- Daughter Of Singer Hank Williams Jr. Dies At Age 27 In A Car Crash
- Meet Dolly Parton’s Parents, Their Influences and Humble Beginnings
- Jason Colacino and Katie Boyle In Their Remarkable Performance
- Remember When Marty Robbins Starred in Clint Eastwood’s Iconic Film