Charley Pride is the most celebrated African-American country singer of all time. He broke records and carved his name into a musical genre that’s mostly dominated by white artists. His distinctive voice made everyone want more from him. Hence, Pride was always on top. However, it’s not all the time that people are destined to stay on top. Sometimes, we have to step down to give way to others too, whether we like it or not. This ended Pride’s reign on the chart as the top African-American country singer.
Charley Pride’s Last Hit on the Country Chart
Pride, after earning a total of thirty-nine number one songs on the chart, finally scored his last (40th) in 1983. In addition, his last recording had become the last number one song on the country chart from an African-American artist. The record was only broken when Darius Rucker got to chart his song “Don’t Think I Don’t Think About It” in 2008.
“Night Games” is one of the songs from Pride’s same-titled album. He released it as his first single, and it made it straight to number one. However, it was also his last hit. “Night Game” was not only on the top of the US chart, but it also scored the top of the Canadian chart. It was written by songwriters Blake Mevis and Norro Wilson.
This last song at number one for Pride elaborates a story of someone looking for love in strange places. The stinging pain in the words of the song can be felt by anyone listening to it.
You’ll find me there
With all the others
Just looking for love
The only way we know
Pride delivered the song with meaning in each word that’s difficult to get over.
This may be his last number one song on the chart, but Pride continued to score singles on the chart. The very last of which was in 1989.
Check out Charley Pride’s last top song on the chart.
Charley Pride, darius rucker, Night Games
- Surviving Racism, Infidelity: Meet Vivian Liberto Cash
- Narvel Blackstock’s New Girlfriend Is His Ex-Wife’s Close Friend
- Who Are Johnny Cash’s Children and Where Are They Now?
- Is the Relationship of Tim McGraw and Faith Hill Heading to a Hefty Divorce?
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- The Dance That Stunned Country Music Obsessives, But Who Are They?
- Five Husbands Later, Lorrie Morgan Finally Found The Love Of Her Life