The song “Bless Broken Road” was originally recorded by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band on their 1994 album Acoustic. The Rascal Flatts wanted to put their own twist to it and so they performed the song for their album “Feels Like Today.”
Bless the Broken Road’s Lyrics Breakdown
Others who broke my heart, they were like northern stars
Pointing me on my way into your loving arms
This much I know is true
That God blessed the broken road
That led me straight to you
Yes it did
Bless the Broken Road describes the struggles of finding a better love. Although you feel like the road to getting there is tricky, as long as God is with you, everything will be fine.
God will not give us a problem that we could not solve. Everything that is put into our path is an obstacle that He knows we can face. That is what the song wants to relay to its audience. No matter how tricky and damaged the road can be, know that He is right by our side. We are blessed to have him leading our path to our true love.
The Rascal Flatt’s Version
The Rascal Flatt’s version of Bless the Broken Road earned them the 2006 Grammy Award for Best Country Song. It also became their first-ever UK chart entry in 2012 after being covered by contestant Sam Kelly in the final of the talent show Britain’s Got Talent.
Released in November 2004, their version became one of their most remarkable hits. It stayed on the country chart for five weeks at number 1.
Nitty Gritty’s band member Jeff Hannah said this about the group’s version:
“Rascal Flatts toyed with recording it on their first album, and they put it on hold for their second album. It had over 150 holds, and it got to be a running gag with us.”
It’s a good thing that the Rascal Flatts decided to push through and release the song. It would have been very unfortunate if we were not able to listen to their beautiful rendition of the song.
You may listen to the song here:
Bless the Broken Road, cover song, Nitty Gritty Band, Rascal Flatts
- ‘Grease’ is Under Fire, Critics Want It Taken Down From Screens. Here’s Why!
- Inside the Grammy Award Winner’s Life: Meet Kris Kristofferson’s Children
- Throwback To George Jones’ “He Stopped Loving Her Today” Final Performance
- Beautifully Blended: Meet All 7 of Kevin Costner’s Kids
- Ryan Upchurch Responds to Luke Combs’ Apology and Calls Him ‘F—ing Sissy’
- Here Are Some of The Incredible Things You Can Do At Loretta Lynn’s Ranch
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?