It is no doubt that Charley Pride has made a lasting mark in country music. Now, his life is subject of a new documentary entitled American Masters—Charley Pride: I’m Just Me.
Micheal Kantor, executive producer of American Masters expressed that he is honored to feature such a legend and delving into his inspirational past.
“At a time when African-American singers were more notable for R&B hits, Charley Pride followed his passion for country music, overcoming obstacles through determination and raw talent to make a lasting impact on the genre and create a legacy that continues today. We are honored to share the inspiring, and largely untold, story of this barrier-breaking performer with viewers nationwide.
Charley Pride: I’m Just Me
According to the PBS website, the documentary follows Pride’s amazing journey that would ultimately lead him to become one of the greatest country superstars of all time.
“…from his humble beginnings as a sharecropper’s son on a cotton farm in segregated Sledge, Mississippi to his career as a Negro American League baseball player and his meteoric rise as a trailblazing country music superstar. The new documentary reveals how Pride’s love for music led him from the Delta to a larger, grander world. “
The film will be narrated by Grammy-nominated country singer Tanya Tucker. It will also feature original interviews from other country music royalty like Dolly Parton, Brad Paisley, Garth Brooks, Darius Rucker, Marty Stuart, and Willie Nelson.
The Outlaw even had some kind words to say about the Pride.
“Charley deserves every accolade he can get. And, uh, we’ll make up some new ones if we need to. He’ll deserve them too!”
The documentary will make its debut on PBS on the 22nd of February, at 9 PM ET. It will also be streamed here and on the PBS apps on Saturday, the 23rd of February.
Watch the trailer here!
American Masters, Charley Pride, documentary
- What Happened To Andy Griffith’s Children: Sam Griffith and Dixie Griffith
- Meet Dolly Parton Siblings Inside Their Big Family Filled With Passion For Music
- Opposites Do Attract: Dolly Parton and Husband Carl Dean Love Story
- Daughter Of Singer Hank Williams Jr. Dies At Age 27 In A Car Crash
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- B.J. Thomas and Wife Gloria’s Love Story That Won Against Odds
- Mo Pitney’s Old Soul Country Showcased in “Borrowed Angel”