The year 2010 has definitely been a whirlwind for the family trio. It was the time when The Band Perry’s “If I Die Young” was released as the second single off their self-titled debut album – which then catapulted the group to fame.
The song reached the top rankings of various music chart sites. In the United States, it climbed to the top spot of Billboard’s Hot Country Songs and Adult Contemporary charts while peaking at No. 4 on Billboard Hot 100.
On top of that, it was nominated for multiple awards in 2011 – including Best Country Song during the 53rd Grammy Awards as well as Single Record of the Year and Song of the Year at Academy of Country Music Awards. Remarkably, it won big at Country Music Association Awards, taking home Single of the Year and Song of the Year.
To say that “If I Die Young” is the biggest hit among The Band Perry songs is truly an understatement.
Story Behind The Song
Written by the band’s one-third, Kimberly Perry, “If I Die Young” is about the misery of dying young. As the woman in the song requests a somewhat elegant riverfront funeral, she laments how her life was short-lived.
She never even got to experience love, and she’s worried about how her family will deal with the loss. She also noted the sad truth on how people only pay attention to someone’s life when they’re already gone.
Still, she’s grateful for her well-lived life, assuring us that she has no regrets.
Kimberly described the country ballad as a song “about contentment” and “about life more than death. A contemplation. A lullaby.” She wrote it one cloudy day in East Tennessee upon the realization that though she was only 27 at that time, she had gotten to live and love completely. She thought, “whatever time I spend on the planet will be just enough.”
Make sure to listen to “If I Die Young” by The Band Perry by playing the video below.
The Band Perry
- Sons of Willie Nelson Joined Him For An Incredible Rendition of “Move it on Over”
- Meet Dolly Parton Siblings Inside Their Big Family Filled With Passion For Music
- Rip Wheeler and Beth Dutton Complete Relationship Timeline
- The ‘Duck Dynasty’ stars: Where is the Robertson Family now?
- Trigger, Willie Nelson’s Guitar Is Just As Legendary As He Is
- Tim McGraw & Faith Hill’s Daughter Audrey Shows Off Snippet From Recent Photoshoot
- Meet Robert Lee Parton And How His Life Inspired Dolly Parton