Randy Travis gave us a deep and meaningful song for us to ponder on. “It’s Just a Matter of Time” reminds us that love is far more important than money and fame. We can find happiness in this tangible things, but the happiness we’ll have is only temporary. In life, love is one of the greatest things, and it is a pure joy to have experienced it. Therefore, if you are given the chance to choose between money and love, always choose love.
All About the Song
The narrator of the song warns his ex-lover that someday she will regret leaving him for money and fame. She thinks it’s far more important to become famous than to be with someone who cares for her. She mocks and laughs at what the narrator told her.
You laughed and you called me a clown
Remember in your search for fortune and fame
What goes up must come down
Randy Travis’ Recording
“It’s Just a Matter of Time” was released as a single in 1989 from Travis’ album No Holdin’ Back. Randy earned another number one song on the chart with “It’s Just a Matter of Time.” In addition, he was nominated for Best Male Country Vocal Performance in the 1989 Grammy Awards.
The Original Version
This top-performing song of Travis was not originally his song. The first recording was in 1958 by Brook Benton. “It’s Just a Matter of Time” came to life when songwriters Benton, Belford Hendricks, and Clyde Otis were out of ideas. When Benton was disappointed that they can’t write any song, Otis said to Benton,
“It’s just a matter of time, Brook”
There, the three came up with an idea. The song was first proposed to Nat King Cole, but eventually, they asked Cole not to record the song. Instead, Otis, who became a manager, told Benton to record the song first. The result was a massive success for him.
Check out this version of Randy Travis.
Brook Benton, It's Just a Matter of Time, Randy Travis
- Surviving Racism, Infidelity: Meet Vivian Liberto Cash
- Who Are Johnny Cash’s Children and Where Are They Now?
- Narvel Blackstock’s New Girlfriend Is His Ex-Wife’s Close Friend
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Is the Relationship of Tim McGraw and Faith Hill Heading to a Hefty Divorce?
- The Dance That Stunned Country Music Obsessives, But Who Are They?
- What Happened To George Strait’s Daughter Jennifer Strait