Dolly Partons’ Inspiration for “Jolene”
“Jolene” was penned by Parton when she found out that there was another woman who likes her husband, Carl Dean. The name Jolene, however, is not the real name of the woman. Parton said that she took the name from a fan of hers.
Her single reached number one on both the US and the Canadian Country chart. In addition, it secured spots on different charts outside of the US. Sadly, her song was only nominated on the Grammy awards. However, in 2017 her collaboration with the group Pentatonix won her the and the group the Grammy Award for Best Country Duo/ Group Performance for the song “Jolene.”
Since “Jolene” is her most recorded song, let’s check out some of the renditions from other artists.
Definitely, Pentatonix’s version is in our list of Parton’s “Jolene.” The group recorded the song in 2016, and they also featured Parton in the song. The group’s version was able to secure a spot on the Billboard country chart.
Dolly Parton’s goddaughter Miley Cyrus put her own spin on one of country music’s classic “Jolene.” Cyrus included the song as part of her Backyard Session in 2012.
It was also covered by the Australian singer and actress Olivia Newton-John‘s album, Come on Over, in 1976.
Alison Krauss didn’t disappoint us in her rendition of “Jolene.” She performed the song in 2006 on a Dolly Parton Segment of the Kennedy Center Honors.
In 2011, Norah Jones together with The Little Willies performed the song for Bridge School Benefit. However, she never released an official cover of the song. On the same year, Jones, together with Keith Urban and John Mayer performed the song as a tribute to Dolly Parton at the Grammy Awards.
Other versions of the song were recorded or performed by The White Stripes, Patti Smith, Kelly Clarkson, and more.
Alison Krauss, Dolly Parton, jolene, Miley Cyrus, Norah Jones, Olivia Newton-John, pentatonix
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Willie Nelson and His Son Put A Country Twist to Pearl Jam’s “Just Breathe”
- Shania Twain and Husband Frédéric Thiébaud: The Story of Healing and Love
- Meet Dolly Parton’s Parents, Their Influences and Humble Beginnings
- Daughter Of Singer Hank Williams Jr. Dies At Age 27 In A Car Crash
- Meet Willie Nelson’s Children Including His Daughter He Only Found Out In 2012
- Jason Colacino and Katie Boyle In Their Remarkable Performance