I Look to You
Whitney Houston comes to us with a powerful and a moving song entitled “I Look to You.” The song sings of hopelessness and the chance to find the light.
The song stands in a more somber note. The piano goes well with the melodic voice of Houston. The song talks about feelings of hopelessness. The stanzas are where those feelings are apparent:
As I lay me down
Heaven hear me now
I’m lost without a cause
After giving it my all
Winter storms have comeFirst two stanzas/ Genius
And darkened my sun
After all that I’ve been through
Who on earth can I turn to
While the chorus gives hope to the plight:
I look to you
After all my strength is goneChorus/Genius
In you I can be strong
“I Look to You” touches the heart of many because Houston is essentially singing from the heart. Almost everyone has gone through a time of hardship and crisis. And, almost everyone have prayed about wanting strength and guidance at some point in their lives.
It talks about looking to God for guidance. We must learn to have faith in the plans that the Lord would have for us. It is critical to point out that in the music video, Houston made it as simple as possible. She expressed in an interview that she did it so, because she wanted to show her humbleness to the Lord.
Listen to the amazing song here!
Charts and Legacy
The 27th of July 2009 was the official release date of the song. On the 30th of July, just one week after its premiere and three days after its promotional release, the song reached number 19 on the Billboard Hot and R&B and Hip-Hop Chart, becoming her 30th top 20 hit. “I Look to You” has since become her highest charting single in the United States in nine years, charting at a whopping #70.
R Kelly, the writer of the song, performed it at Houston’s funeral. It was done at New Hope Baptist Church in Newark, New Jersey. The service was broadcast and streamed live to a worldwide audience.
God, gospel, I Look To You, Whitney Houston
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Willie Nelson and His Son Put A Country Twist to Pearl Jam’s “Just Breathe”
- Shania Twain and Husband Frédéric Thiébaud: The Story of Healing and Love
- Meet Dolly Parton’s Parents, Their Influences and Humble Beginnings
- Daughter Of Singer Hank Williams Jr. Dies At Age 27 In A Car Crash
- Meet Willie Nelson’s Children Including His Daughter He Only Found Out In 2012
- Jason Colacino and Katie Boyle In Their Remarkable Performance