George Strait’s Give It Away is one of the most heart-wrenching country breakup songs that will surely leave you shedding a tear or two. The song is about a woman who just had enough of everything and decided to pack up and leave.
And before she finally left, she told him to give everything away like their story and memories were already nothing of value to her. Everything had been burned to ashes in her mind. While the man was left in a loop of their memories.
Aside from resonating with many heartbroken people and earning praises from critics, Give It Away is also a record-breaking song. It was George Strait’s 41st number one on the Billboard Hot Country Songs chart breaking Conway Twitty’s record 40 number-one singles.
The song was written by Jamey Johnson, Bill Anderson, and Buddy Canon and released as the lead single for Strait’s album It Just Comes Natural in July 2006. Then in 2007, it won Single of the Year and Song of the Year Awards at the Academy of Country Music Awards. During the same year, it also bagged Song of the Year at the Country Music Association Awards. And in the 2008 Grammy Awards, the song was nominated for Best Male Country Vocal Performance.
In 2018, Jamey Johnson, who was one of the songwriters of the hit song, performed the song at Farm Aid 2018 in Hartford, Connecticut. His killer performance was a fundraiser for the farmers on the land; a program started in 1985 by Willie Nelson, Neil Young, and John Mellencamp.
You can listen to George Strait’s Give It Away in the video below. This song is a definite must listen from the rich catalogue of George Strait songs.
- Clint Eastwood: The Truth About His 8 Children
- Shania Twain and Husband Frédéric Thiébaud: The Story of Healing and Love
- Walker Hayes and wife Laney Beville Hayes: A Love That Stayed
- The Story Behind Garth Brooks’ Divorce That Cost Him Millions
- Willie Nelson Held Back Tears as His Friends Sang Him “Seven Spanish Angels”
- 12 Deacon Frey Facts You Probably Didn’t Know
- Get Mushy With These 15 Country Songs For Your Boyfriend