Real country music is not considered country music without the Singing Cowboy, Gene Autry. Today, we remember him on his 21st death anniversary, and what better way to keep his memory is to listen to some of the songs he immortalized in the country music industry?
Autry is worth remembering because, without him, country music would not have gained a nationwide audience. He brought country music into a whole new level during his time, when he performed them on his shows. Indeed, Autry is not only a singer but an excellent actor. He embodied the perfect cowboy in all of his shows.
Let’s take a listen to some of the songs this Singing Cowboy is known for.
Gene Autry Classics
The Singing Cowboy recorded Christmas songs, and it’s surprising, isn’t it? And to add more, these are some of his best songs. It entered the chart, sitting on the top 10 of the country and Hot 100 charts of Billboard.
Now, folks, your Christmas playlist is set with this amazing Autry yuletide songs.
“Back in the Saddle Again”
We are done with his Christmas songs. This time let’s take a look at some of his western songs. This signature track of Autry was first recorded by the original songwriter, Ray Whitley in 1938. However, Autry was captivated by the song that he teamed up with the songwriter and revised it. Now, this has been associated with Autry since then. “Back in the Saddle Again” was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame a year before his death.
“At Mail Call Today”
Another country hit single of Autry is his self-penned song “At Mail Call Today.” The song was released in 1945, and it reached number one on the country chart, making this Autry’s first number one.
At mail call, to-day love your last letter came,
I just stood there smiling till they called my name;
As I read it over my skies turned to grey,
And tears dimmed my eyes love, at mail call today.
Check out some of his songs, and binge watch some of his great western movies.
Death Anniversary, Gene Autry, Singing Cowboy
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Willie Nelson and His Son Put A Country Twist to Pearl Jam’s “Just Breathe”
- Shania Twain and Husband Frédéric Thiébaud: The Story of Healing and Love
- Meet Dolly Parton’s Parents, Their Influences and Humble Beginnings
- Daughter Of Singer Hank Williams Jr. Dies At Age 27 In A Car Crash
- Meet Willie Nelson’s Children Including His Daughter He Only Found Out In 2012
- Jason Colacino and Katie Boyle In Their Remarkable Performance