Elton John’s Stunning Cover of the Iconic “Stand by Your Man”
In honor of one of country music’s most beloved female singers, a collaboration was made between artists across the spectrum, and that included the legendary superstar.
On the outstanding “Tammy Wynette Remembered,” John covers the iconic song and delivers it with a passion.
Part of “Tammy Wynette Remembered” includes other singers paying homage to the star by reinvigorating 1960s and 1970s hits like “I Don’t Want To Play House” and “Your Good Girl’s Gonna Go Bad.” With those songs, Wynette had a huge influence on female country singers.
Columbia Records, Wynette’s longtime label, also released an album entitled Tribute to Tradition. It also contains remakes of two Wynette hits, “Stand by Your Man” by the Dixie Chicks, and “‘Til I Can Make It on my Own” by Martina McBride.
“I have been a fan, admirer — tried to be a clone years ago — in regards to Tammy,” said Faith Hill, who sings Wynette’s 1976 hit “Til I Can Make It on My Own” on “Tammy Wynette Remembered.”
Wynette’s longtime friend and publisher, Evelyn Shriver, recounted how Wynette made Country more sophisticated.
“Tammy was really country, but she made country more sophisticated.She wasn’t the buffoon woman. She was the woman that movie stars wanted to go out with. She just represented a very classy-lady aspect of country music that up to then really hadn’t existed.”
In 2003, “Stand by Your Man” was rated number one on CMT’s 100 Greatest Songs in Country Music. In 2004, “Stand by Your Man” was rated number sixteen on CMT’s 100 Greatest Country Love Songs.
Everyone loved and has loved Wynette and has been inspired by her. Elton John is just one of the long list of admirers that Wynette has.
Listen to the song here!
Elton John, stand by your man, Tammy Wynnete
- Where are the Mandrell Sisters Now after Four Decades?
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- The Dance That Stunned Country Music Obsessives, But Who Are They?
- Narvel Blackstock’s New Girlfriend Is His Ex-Wife’s Close Friend
- Get Mushy With These 15 Country Songs For Your Boyfriend
- Who Are Johnny Cash’s Children and Where Are They Now?
- Five Husbands Later, Lorrie Morgan Finally Found The Love Of Her Life