Nothing says sadder than a man trying to move on desperately from a previous lover. Don Gibson successfully immortalized this song as one of the classic break-up song in country music history.
This classic hit was penned and originally recorded by Don Gibson himself. He was helped by another country music legend, Chet Atkins, who produced the song.
The singer released the song as a single first. And then had the whole album named after the song back in April 1958.
Different Version of this Classic Don Gibson Hit
You may have recognized the song somewhere or covered by someone. Yes, this was a classic hit that was covered by a diverse range of musicians.
A lot of the musicians have covered this successfully. But one remarkable cover was done by Neil Young. He covered the song in his album After the Gold Rush. The singer stuck with the intent of the lyrics and covered the song full of despair and sadness.
Other artists who have covered this song are the Kentucky Headhunters, Stonewall Jackson, Johnny Cash, Ray Charles, Connie Francis and other country legends.
In fact, all these covers hit the charts indicating that whoever covers the song will make it good because that is just great the song was made.
Everybody’s going out and having fun
I’m just a fool for staying home and having none
I can’t get over how she set me free
Oh, lonesome me
The lyrics said it all. A man can’t get over how easily she was set free. The man in the song definitely can’t move on maybe because he really loved the person with his whole being. Isn’t that always the case?
At the end of the song, there was hope and promise that he will try to find somebody new. But this classic Don Gibson hit wants to stay in that melancholic moment.
It does hurt to be left alone by someone you loved and it really takes time to heal.
But one thing is for sure, moving on is easier said than done.
Listen to this classic hit from Don Gibson here:
- High Schooler In Overalls and Straw Hat Stuns The Crowd With His Banjo-Playing Skills
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- “Tennessee Whiskey” Dad Kris Jones Makes Daughter Proud, Fluid Cover Goes Viral
- 10 Alison Krauss Songs That Proves She’s One of Country Music’s Most Beloved Voices
- You Should Hear This 93-Year-Old Woman Singing “One Day at a Time”
- Randy Travis Divorce With Ex-Wife Elizabeth Hatcher Travis Tops Nastiest Divorce in Industry
- The Joe Diffie Songs That Turned Him Into An Icon To Many Country Fans