Good news, country fans! Country legend Dolly Parton will now be celebrated every year because of an announcement from Mayor David Briley. The Mayor of Nashville announced that August 5 will be Dolly Parton Day. The country singer’s charity works and efforts in helping the education system are now being recognized and we couldn’t be more proud of her.
Mayor David Gives Recognition to Dolly Parton
Country fans were delighted when they heard the news of celebrating a Dolly Parton Day. On his Facebook post, the city of Nashville recognizes all of the achievements of the singer in a proclamation document. They went through the start of her career and how she became the country legend that she is now.
The Mayor posted:
“Today, I proudly signed a proclamation honoring one of Tennessee’s greatest education and literacy advocates — and a true legend of country music. Happy Dolly Parton Day, Nashville!”
Dolly was there to personally receive this prestigious honor. The recognition of Dolly’s works goes beyond her career in music. The singer sent free books to children until age 5 in select countries including the United States, Canada, Australia, and the United Kingdom. Her foundation (the Dollywood Foundation) delivered 123 million books to children all over the world since its start-up back in 1995.
The Dollywood Foundation
The Dollywood foundation started right after the Dollywood Theme Park. Their goal is to empower the children to read books not only in America but all over the world. Their charitable work started by offering free scholarships to their local high school students.
Their program turned into the ‘Imagination Library’ wherein they send thousands of books to children in need. The foundation continues to reward scholarship grants to young adults. They have already reached 100-million total book distribution mark and they are not stopping. The Mayor of Nashville recognizes all of these and so, Dolly Parton Day was formed.
For more country music stories, check our official Facebook page.
august 5, mayor david briley
- High Schooler In Overalls and Straw Hat Stuns The Crowd With His Banjo-Playing Skills
- “Tennessee Whiskey” Dad Kris Jones Makes Daughter Proud, Fluid Cover Goes Viral
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- 10 Alison Krauss Songs That Proves She’s One of Country Music’s Most Beloved Voices
- You Should Hear This 93-Year-Old Woman Singing “One Day at a Time”
- Randy Travis Divorce With Ex-Wife Elizabeth Hatcher Travis Tops Nastiest Divorce in Industry
- The Joe Diffie Songs That Turned Him Into An Icon To Many Country Fans