Consequences for country singer Morgan Wallen keep growing after he was caught on video hurling the racial slur.
Shortly after he has been suspended by his record label and his songs removed from rotation on more than 400 stations across the country, the Academy of Country Music announced that the “More Than My Hometown” singer will no longer be qualified for this year’s ACM Awards.
The Academy said in their statement that they do not “condone or support intolerance or behavior that doesn’t align with our commitment and dedication to diversity and inclusion.” They added that they will be evaluating their awards qualification and the process of submission to make sure the future nominees will always mirror the Academy’s integrity.
Moreover, the Academy is also taking steps to make sure that the country superstar won’t be mentioned at all during the ceremony – whether it’s during the pre-ceremony events, interviews, or other engagements.
Though the highly special gag order has not been officially announced, it was said to be communed through “unofficial channels.” One source revealed that the specific instruction stated that Wallen “cannot and will not be mentioned” at any moment throughout the broadcast; even subtle nods will never be allowed.
The country singer’s latest album has just spent its ninth-straight week atop Billboard Hot 200, breaking the chart’s record of most weeks at No. 1. Over a dozen of Morgan Wallen’s songs are also currently ranking on top of Spotify as fervent followers are making the switch from local radio stations to the most on-demand streams – while also demanding the stations to reinstate the singer.
Indeed, all of these are placing Morgan Wallen in a bright spotlight, making his absence even more apparent.
- Little Girl Superbly Delivers Willie Nelson’s “Always on My Mind”
- One Good Deed: Country Music Star Left $1,000 Tip to Waitress Working Double with Daughter
- Kelly Clarkson Will Pay Ex-Husband Brandon Blackstock Nearly $200k Per Month Amid Divorce
- Kelly Clarkson Renegotiates Talk Show Contract Amid Divorce With Brandon Blackstock
- Remembering the Creepy Death of Johnny Horton 59 Years Ago
- The Yellowstone Soundtrack: The Complete List
- Luke Combs’ Net Worth + Facts: Everything You Need To Know About The Country Star