“Always on My Mind” is a song about regrets felt by someone who took the love of their life for granted. This heartbreaking single has been commonly associated with Willie Nelson. However, it was not Nelson who first recorded the song.
B.J. Thomas, The First Recording
It was in 1970 when the first recording of “Always on My Mind” was released. It was recorded by B.J. Thomas as a single. His version was not commercially successful. Therefore, most people didn’t know that he was the original singer of the song. B.J. Thomas is an American singer who had songs on the pop and country charts. He is best known for his single “Raindrops Keep Fallin’ on My Head.”
Even though Thomas was not able to make the song popular, he was the reason why most singers recorded the song. Here are popular versions of the song penned by Johnny Christopher, Mark James, and Wayne Carson.
The Different Versions of “Always on My Mind”
Nelson’s rendition is perhaps the most popular of all as he even won a Grammy Award for it. He also won the CMA award for Single of the Year aside from winning various awards for two consecutive years, Nelson’s cover top the country chart. He was also able to make the song enter charts outside of the US.
The Pet Shop Boys
The highest charting version on the pop chart was recorded by The Pet Shop Boys in 1987. They have made the song reach number one on charts outside of the US. “Always on My Mind” placed at number one on the Canadian, Finnish, Polish, and UK chart.
Whose version of this popular song do you like the most?
Always On My Mind, B.J. Thomas, Willie Nelson
- Yoakam Joins Stapleton on Stage for “Seven Spanish Angels”
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Jenny Gill is Hoping to Pave Her Own Musical Path – Meet Her Today
- Remembering the Creepy Death of Johnny Horton 59 Years Ago
- The Noah’s Ark in Kentucky Is Drawing Millions of Visitors. Here’s Why!
- Top 100 Country Songs Chart 2021
- What Happened To George Strait’s Daughter Jennifer Strait