Jennings released his song as a single, and it reached the number two spot on the US Billboard chart. “Rainy Day Woman” also entered the Canadian chart and placed at number eighteen.
Check out his underrated single “Rainy Day Woman” here.
What’s the Song All About?
In Jennings’ song, the narrator described his woman to be a rainy day kind of woman. This means that the narrator’s lover only causes him more pain. Instead of loving him wholeheartedly, and being there for him all the time. She only chooses to find fault in him, making him feel unhappy about the relationship with his lover.
That woman of mine, she ain’t happy
‘Til she finds something wrong and someone to blame
If it ain’t one thing it’s another one on the way
What will you do when you’re in the same position as the narrator? Will you continue to be with such kind of person?
The Ramblin’ Man Album
Jennings’ outlaw album The Ramblin’ Man produced two singles that entered the country chart, “I’m a Ramblin’ Man” and “Rainy Day Woman.” In addition, the album secured a spot on the Billboard country chart too. He received positive critics for his album because of the way he delivers the songs in it. As they said, Jennings stayed true to his roots as a musician.
Bob Dylan’s “Rainy Day Woman”
Bob Dylan also wrote a song known as “Rainy Day Woman #12 and #35.” The song has a big difference with Jennings. For Dylan, the song speaks about the use of drugs. Meanwhile, Jennings tells the story of a man who struggles to be with a woman who doesn’t support him and his happiness.
Dylan’s song, despite being controversial, entered some charts in and out of the US.
i'm a ramblin' man, Rainy Day Woman, Waylon Jennings
- ICYMI: The CMA Fiasco Surrounding Alan Jackson’s Walk-out to Beyonce’s Performance
- What Happened To John Wayne’s Children?
- First Time In History: Garth Brooks’ Daughter Allie Colleen Achieves Her First Top-40 Country Hit
- Meet Brad Paisley’s Kids He Is Raising To Be Kind and Humble
- A Look Back at Anne Murray, Her Agonizing Struggle with Drugs and Divorce
- Top Paid Country Musicians of 2020: Billboard’s U.S. Money Makers
- Who is Patrick Wayne? Meet John Wayne’s Second Son