It is no secret that Dolly Parton has not just collaborated with fellow legends Loretta Lynn and Tammy Wynette but she also has released albums together with Linda Ronstadt and Emmylou Harris. In fact, she really likes making collaborations and forming “trios.” Hence, she has produced and named an album after it.
Dolly Parton Collaborates with Linda Ronstadt and Emmylou Harris
Parton has been friends with fellow country artists Ronstadt and Harris. As a matter of fact, they have become admirers of each other’s music. They first attempted to record an album together in the mid-‘70s. However, there were scheduling conflicts and other difficulties which included the three recordings for different record labels. Hence, their conception of a collaborative album was prevented.
Despite their failed attempt, some of the fruits of those aborted 1970s recording sessions did make it into some of their solo recordings. The songs “Mr. Sandman” and “Evangeline” appeared on Harris’ 1981 album, Evangeline. Meanwhile, Parton’s self-penned tune, “My Blue Tears,” became a part of Ronstadt’s 1982 album, Get Closer. Moreover, Rodney Crowell’s “Even Cowgirls Get Blue Eyes” was on Harris’ Blue Kentucky Girl album. For the next few years, each has conceived songs for their albums. Also, they have covered each other’s songs and recorded them for their respective albums.
Then in 1987, a collaboration effort was finally realized. Produced by George Massenburg, Trio album came into existence. It was a massive album for the three singers as it spawned four huge country hit singles.
The Trio Album
Trio became the first collaborative studio album by Parton, Ronstadt, and Harris. Released on March 2, 1987, Trio was under the Warner Bros. recording label.
It was a total success as it sold a total of over 4 million copies worldwide. Also, it has received a number of awards, including two Grammys.
On January 14, 1988, Trio clinched the no. 1 spot on the Billboard Top Country Albums. Furthermore, it also charted at no. 6 on the Billboard 200 and no. 4 on the RPM Top Albums in Canada.
Twelve years later, in 1999, Parton, Ronstadt, and Harris released their second album called Trio II. And in 2016, they finally released their third album, The Complete Trio Collection.
Here is the list of the songs included on the Trio album:
- “The Pain of Loving You” (Written by Dolly Parton, Porter Wagoner; Sung by Harris)
- “Making Plans” (Written by Johnny Russell, Voni Morrison; Sung by Parton)
- “To Know Him Is to Love Him” (Written by Phil Spector; Sung by Harris)
- “Hobo’s Meditation” (Written by Jimmy Rodgers; Sung by Ronstadt)
- “Wildflowers”(Written by Dolly Parton; Sung by Parton)
- “Telling Me Lies” (Written by Linda Thompson, Betsy Cook; Sung by Ronstadt)
- “My Dear Companion” (Traditional; Arranged by Jean Ritchie; Sung by Harris)
- “Those Memories of You” (Written by Alan O’Bryant; Sung by Parton)
- “I’ve Had Enough” (Written by Kate McGarrigle; Sung by Ronstadt)
- “Rosewood Casket” (Traditional; Arranged by Avie Lee Parton; Sung by Parton)
- “Farther Along” (Written by Traditional; Arranged by John Starling, Emmylou Harris; Sung by Harris, Parton, Ronstadt)
For now, listen to the “Farther Along” rendition of Parton, Ronstadt, and Harris below:
Dolly Parton, Emmylou Harris, Linda Ronstadt