“Jesus, Take the Wheel” by Carrie Underwood
This song tells the story of a young woman with a lot on her mind who hits a sheet of black ice while driving to see her parents for Christmas. When she goes into a skid and fears for her life, she throws her hands up and says, “Jesus, take the wheel”. Guided by Jesus, the car comes to a safe stop with her baby still asleep in the back seat. At this point, she vows to give her life to Christ.
It became such a neat song because it touches people—body and soul. The song is really special because some people even share their similar experiences to the story of the song. In addition, it also tells how Jesus helped them and saved them from harm when they are close to crashing or losing control of their car. However, here comes Jesus to rescue them.
Background of the Song
“Jesus, Take the Wheel” is a composition by Brett James, Hillary Lindsey, and Gordie Sampson. The voice behind its recording is from American country music artist Carrie Underwood. Released in October 2005, it was the first single from Underwood’s debut album Some Hearts. The ballad tells of a woman seeking help from Jesus in an emergency, ultimately letting Jesus take control of her life.
The country-Christian song became a crossover hit. The track spent six consecutive weeks at number one on the Billboard Hot Country Songs, peaking at number four on the Billboard Hot Christian Songs chart and charting high on the Billboard Adult Contemporary chart. It also became a top twenty hit on the Billboard Hot 100 chart.
“Jesus, Take the Wheel” won Grammys for Best Female Country Vocal Performance and Best Country Song. At the 2005 Academy of Country Music Awards, it won Single of the Year. The song ranked number four on CMT’s 40 Greatest Songs of the Decade.
Carrie Underwood, jesus take the wheel
- Remember When Toby Keith and Daughter Performed Duet of “Mockingbird”?
- Upchurch Releases “Mud To Gold” Tracklist, Teases Fans with Self-Leaked Song
- Keith Whitley’s Legacy Lives On Through Wife & Son “Don’t Close Your Eyes” Duet
- In Honor of Patrick Swayze: One of Hollywood’s Most Savvy and Versatile Actors
- Wynonna Judd’s Faith-Filled Rendition of “I Can Only Imagine”
- Watch Troops Sing ‘Take Me Home, Country Roads’ on Flight Home From 11-Month Deployment
- The 35 Saddest Country Songs When You Need a Good Cry