Behind all great songs and singers is a songwriter who worked hard to give us something worth listening. Without the songwriters, we would not be able to have the songs we love. That is why, like Jamey Johnson, we must honor them.
Jamey Johnson’s Tribute Album
In 2012, Johnson released an album containing all songs from the country songwriter Hank Cochran. He covered sixteen of the songs written by Cochran but he was not alone. He collaborated with other country singers, too.
Johnson worked with legendary singers such as Merle Haggard, Vince Gill, Alison Krauss, George Strait, Willie Nelson, and more. Here’s the complete list of the songs in Johnson’s album Living for a Song: A Tribute to Hank Cochran.
- “Make the World Go Away” feat. Alison Krauss
- “I Fall to Pieces” feat. Merle Haggard
- “A Way to Survive” feat. Vince Gill and Leon Russell
- “Don’t Touch Me” feat. Emmylou Harris
- “You Wouldn’t Know Love” feat. Ray Price
- “I Don’t Do Windows” feat. Ray Benson of Asleep at the Wheel
- “She’ll Be Back” feat. Elvis Costello
- “Would These Arms Be in Your Way” Johnson
- “The Eagle” feat. George Strait
- “A-11” feat. Ronnie Dunn
- “I’d Fight the World” feat. Bobby Bare
- “Don’t You Ever Get Tired (Of Hurting Me)” feat. Willie Nelson
- “This Ain’t My First Rodeo” feat. Lee Ann Womack
- “Love Makes a Fool of Us All” feat. Kris Kristofferson
- “Everything but You” feat. Vince Gill, Willie Nelson, Leon Russell
- “Living for a Song” feat. Hank Cochran, Merle Haggard, Kris Kristofferson, Willie Nelson
“I Fall to Pieces” Covered by Jamey Johnson and Merle Haggard
What captured our attention was the collaboration between Haggard and Johnson. They covered the most famous song of Cochran, “I Fall to Pieces.” The song was written by Cochran and Harlan Howard in 1961. Cochran thought of the title of the song, and he told Howard about it. They ended up writing it together. Howard’s wife, Jan Howard, recorded the song for a demo tape. They first pitched the song to two other singers before Patsy Cline recorded it.
Johnson and Haggard changed the tempo of the song, making it sound more country blues. Johnson received a mixed review for his version and for his album, too.
Cochran is not only a songwriter. He was known for his single “Sally Was a Good Old Girl” that reached number 20 on the country chart. In his entire career as a singer, he scored a total of seven songs on the chart.
Hank Cochran, i fall to pieces, Jamey Johnson, merle haggard
- Narvel Blackstock’s New Girlfriend Is His Ex-Wife’s Close Friend
- Top 100 Country Songs Chart 2021
- Here Are The Top 40 Country Songs For September 2021
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- The Reba McEntire and Narvel Blackstock Split: Tragic Ending After 26 Years of Marriage
- The Untimely Deaths of Loretta Lynn’s Kids
- Brandi Carlile and wife Catherine Shepherd’s Sweet Love Story