‘The Friend’ will mark as Jake Owen’s debut feature film, which is currently in production in Fairhope, Alabama., He joins a star-studded cast with Jason Segel (How I Met Your Mother), Dakota Johnson (Fifty Shades of Grey) and Oscar winner Casey Affleck (Manchester by the Sea).
The movie is based on a true story and has been adapted to an award-winning essay by Matthew Teague that was originally published in Esquire in May of 2015.
Originally titled ‘The Friend: Love is Not a Big Enough Word,” tells the story of the narrator’s relationship with his terminally ill wife and the support of his best friend who moves into their home following their diagnosis.
The film is directed by Gabriela Cowperthwaite of Blackfish. It is currently being filed in Fairhope, Alabama. The film release date has not been made public as of yet.
Owen’s amazing CV has not yet included an acting gig, but he is definitely not a stranger in front of a camera. He has starred in many music videos and digital videos shared via social media. This is of course in addition to starring as a judge on USA’s Real Country last fall.
He will be balancing the new project in addition to several other ventures on his plate. His upcoming album ‘Greetings from… Jake’ is due for release on the 29th of March. His first two singles off the new project, “I was Jack (You were Diane)” and “Down to the Honkytonk” have both hit number 1 at country radio.
Listen to Down to the Honkytonk here!
The singer also has a packed touring schedule and is also up for an ACM award. This will be his first nomination in 10 years. Moreover, he’s expecting his second child – a daughter, with his girlfriend Erica Hartlein.
Jake Owen, New Film, The Friend
- Get to Know Hannah Dasher, An Uprising Country Rock Star
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Narvel Blackstock’s New Girlfriend Is His Ex-Wife’s Close Friend
- Where is Jason Aldean’s First Wife, Jessica Ussery Now?
- The Dance That Stunned Country Music Obsessives, But Who Are They?
- Get Mushy With These 15 Country Songs For Your Boyfriend
- Who Are Johnny Cash’s Children and Where Are They Now?