Nothing says sadder than a man desperately trying to move on from a previous lover. Don Gibson successfully immortalized this song as one of the classic break-up songs in country music history. This classic hit was penned and originally recorded by Don Gibson himself. He was helped by another country music legend, Chet Atkins, who produced the song.
The singer released the song as a single and then had the whole album named after the song back in April 1958.
Different Versions of this Classic Don Gibson Hit
You may have recognized the song somewhere or covered by someone. Yes, this was a classic hit that was covered by a diverse range of musicians. A lot of the musicians have covered this successfully but one remarkable cover was done by Neil Young. He covered the song in his album After the Gold Rush. The singer stuck with the intent of the lyrics and covered the song full of despair and sadness.
Other artists who have covered this song are the Kentucky Headhunters, Stonewall Jackson, Johnny Cash, Ray Charles, Connie Francis, and other country legends. In fact, all these covers hit the charts indicating that whoever covers the song will make it good because that is just how great the song was made.
Everybody’s going out and having fun
I’m just a fool for staying home and having none
I can’t get over how she set me free
Oh, lonesome me
The lyrics say it all. A man can’t get over how his lover left him easily. The man in the song definitely can’t move on maybe because he really loved the person with his whole being. Isn’t that always the case when a person really loves someone? At the end of the song, it was hinted that he is still hoping and he promised that he will try to find somebody new. However, this classic Don Gibson hit wants to stay in that moment.
It does hurt to be left alone by someone you loved and it really takes time to heal. But one thing is for sure, moving on is easier said than done.
Listen to this classic hit from Don Gibson here:
Don Gibson, Oh Lonesome Me
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Meet Willie Nelson’s Children Including His Daughter He Only Found Out In 2012
- Where are the Mandrell Sisters Now after Four Decades?
- The Dance That Stunned Country Music Obsessives, But Who Are They?
- Randy Travis Divorce With Ex-Wife Elizabeth Hatcher Travis Tops Nastiest Divorce in Industry
- Five Husbands Later, Lorrie Morgan Finally Found The Love Of Her Life
- What Happened To George Strait’s Daughter Jennifer Strait