In January of 1964, Buck Owens returned to the Capitol Studios in Hollywood to record “My Heart Skips a Beat”. This second single from Capitol occupied the top spot on the country chart in mid-May. Three weeks later, the B-side of the single, “Together Again”, knocked out “My Heart Skips a Beat” from being number one. After having been replaced for some time, “My Heart Skips a Beat” re-claimed its spot. Both were so popular that they were fighting who should really be there. In addition to that, it was Owens’s third number one single on the US country singles chart. “My Heart Skips a Beat” spent seven non-consecutive weeks at the top. It stayed on the chart for a total of twenty-six weeks.
In the mid-1960s, Buck’s fame could not be stopped. He was so popular that he was fighting himself for chart dominance. While he is widely known for his “freight train” sound, his B-side track “Together Again” is evidence of his craft. It proved that he can adapt with a tender ballad. They did not stop there. Pedal steel guitarist Tom Brumley played a memorably mournful solo. The recently joined band member made a great version that stood in bare contrast to its positive lyrics. Once again, Owens showed that by twisting the rules and playing the game, he could set fire to his own name for country music innovation.
For over three decades, Buck Owens recorded more than 40 studio albums. To add to his achievements, he made eight live albums. What is more is he placed almost 50 singles in the Top 10 on the Billboard country chart—over 20 of those occupied the top spot. By almost any measure, Owens was the most victorious country artist of the 1960s. His legacy can still be heard in the music of current country radio stars.
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Shania Twain and Husband Frédéric Thiébaud: The Story of Healing and Love
- Meet the four-time divorcee, Sam Elliott’s Wife, Katharine Ross
- Daughter Of Singer Hank Williams Jr. Dies At Age 27 In A Car Crash
- Meet Dolly Parton Siblings Inside Their Big Family Filled With Passion For Music
- A Look Back at Anne Murray, Her Agonizing Struggle with Drugs and Divorce
- Meet Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell’s Kids Inside Their Blended Family