Brandi Carlile is known for her heart-wrenching songs and honest lyrics. In “Party of One,” she tag teams with Sam Smith to deliver a story of a partnership. She handles the story with the grace and finesse of a songwriter, yet the emotions in her lyrics are still genuine and raw.
Brandi Carlile’s “Party of One”
Carlile takes us in a whirlwind of emotions in “Party of One.” The soft arrangement of the piano lulls us in an almost-comfortable head space, before dropping us in the middle of what seems to be a conflict between two people.
The 3-time Grammy Award winner perfectly portrays the conflict and rocky resolution in her song. She perfectly captures the feelings of empathic understanding of being alone during a conflict with a significant other, as well as the frustrations that one feels.
In retrospect, the lyrics talk about the turbulence each relationship has. Whether it be romantic, familial, or platonic, there can never be a strong relationship without some type of conflict. And even if we are heavily devoted to them, none of us are immune to being exhausted or frustrated about the person or the situation. But that doesn’t mean that we should abandon them.
At the end of the song, Carlile acknowledges that the resolution for the conflict would involve with her stepping back. However, she also hints at her return because of her allusions that she is home, and conflicts do happen, but she will always come back.
Carlile is a three-time Grammy Award-winning singer and songwriter. She has earned seven Grammy Award nominations, six for her current album, By The Way, I Forgive You. This album won her a Grammy Award for Best Americana Album, as well as being nominated for Album of the Year in the 2019 Grammy Awards.
Check out her marvelous video here, featuring the wonderful Sam Smith.
- Sons of Willie Nelson Joined Him For An Incredible Rendition of “Move it on Over”
- Rip Wheeler and Beth Dutton Complete Relationship Timeline
- The ‘Duck Dynasty’ stars: Where is the Robertson Family now?
- Meet Dolly Parton Siblings Inside Their Big Family Filled With Passion For Music
- Tim McGraw & Faith Hill’s Daughter Audrey Shows Off Snippet From Recent Photoshoot
- Get To Know Kelly Reilly, The Actress Behind Yellowstone’s Fearless Beth Dutton
- The Yellowstone Soundtrack: The Complete List