We sigh over the lack of story and musicality in modern country and how it’s been changed to simple beats and arrangements. But not until Mickey Guyton’s “Better Than You Left Me” entered the scene. It is the debut single of Mickey Guyton, an American country singer who grew up in Texas.
It was written by Mickey Guyton and co-written by Nathan Chapman, Jenn Schott, and Jennifer Hanson and was released in January 2015.
The song is about the singer’s ex-boyfriend who decided to win her back after he saw her achieving her dreams and becoming a successful singer. That sloppy breakup was burdening the singer at some point. At their session, she showed up and narrated the affair to her co-writers just moments after meeting them. They composed this single in roughly 30 minutes, and it meant everything for Guyton.
The singer paved the way for herself in the country music industry – and it didn’t bother that one of Mickey Guyton’s songs entered many country music charts. With at least 79 radio stations playing it on their setlists after its release, the song premiered at #45 on US Country Airplay Chart and peaked at #34 on the same chart. It also reached the #34 spot on the Adult Contemporary chart.
Better Than You Left Me by Mickey Guyton also reached #42 on the Canada Country chart.
Some writers labeled the track a “Critic’s Pick” who described Guyton as a “real country singer who leans on talent and great composing skills first and foremost. And she also received a nomination from the Academy of Country Music Awards in 2016.
Watch the music video of Mickey Guyton’s Better Than You Left Me, record-breaking debut single, below.
- ICYMI: The CMA Fiasco Surrounding Alan Jackson’s Walk-out to Beyonce’s Performance
- The ‘Duck Dynasty’ stars: Where is the Robertson Family now?
- First Time In History: Garth Brooks’ Daughter Allie Colleen Achieves Her First Top-40 Country Hit
- What Happened To John Wayne’s Children?
- Meet Brad Paisley’s Kids He Is Raising To Be Kind and Humble
- Walker Hayes and wife Laney Beville Hayes: A Love That Stayed
- Narvel Blackstock’s New Girlfriend Is His Ex-Wife’s Close Friend