Have you heard Glen Campbell’s version of “What a Friend We Have in Jesus?” If you haven’t, you must certainly do. His voice perfectly brings much emotion to the song. In addition, Campbell who is a firm believer in Jesus speaks about Him and what He can do for us.
Who Wrote “What a Friend We Have in Jesus?”
In 1955, Joseph M. Scriven wrote the old Christian song “What a Friend We Have in Jesus.” Scriven wrote the song for his mother who lives far away from him. He provided these words as comfort. This hymn became popular that it was even translated into different languages. The first melody of the song was composed by an American attorney, Charles Crozat Converse.
This hymn is extremely popular that artists from different genres recorded it. Some artists known to cover this song were Aretha Franklin in 1972 for her Amazing Grace album, Amy Grant in 2002 and 2015, Alan Jackson in 20016, Brad Paisley in 2008, and Ronnie Milsap in 2009.
Glen Campbell’s Version
One other artist who performed this song in 1989 was Campbell. The hymn was included in his forty-fifth studio album Favorite Hymns. His rendition was stunning, and you couldn’t stop listening to his voice.
On the video below, Campbell performed the song at the North Phoenix Baptist Church in 1989. But, before he began singing, a short video of him was included speaking about the power of Jesus. He tells us that believing and trusting in Jesus will lighten our burden. His power is great that He’s able to help the whole world and listen to every one of us if we are willing to come to Him.
What a privilege to carry everything to God in prayer
Oh what peace we often forfeit of what needless pain we bear
All because we do not carry everything to God in prayer
Favorite Hymns of Campbell didn’t secure any position on the chart, but it was a beautiful recording of the songs he grew up listening to. There are twelve traditional gospel songs on his album.
Favorite Hymns, glen campbell, what a friend we have in jesus
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Willie Nelson and His Son Put A Country Twist to Pearl Jam’s “Just Breathe”
- Shania Twain and Husband Frédéric Thiébaud: The Story of Healing and Love
- Meet Dolly Parton’s Parents, Their Influences and Humble Beginnings
- Daughter Of Singer Hank Williams Jr. Dies At Age 27 In A Car Crash
- Meet Willie Nelson’s Children Including His Daughter He Only Found Out In 2012
- Jason Colacino and Katie Boyle In Their Remarkable Performance