We won’t stop loving George Jones
George Jones’ “He Stopped Loving Her Today” is often billed as one of the best country songs of all times. This song is about a man whose love goes away, but his love for her never dies, until the day that he himself dies – that’s the day he stops loving her. The song was Jones’s first solo No. 1 single in six years. The melancholy song was written by Bobby Braddock and Curly Putman, a pair who, ironically enough, had their previous biggest success as collaborators with Tammy Wynette’s “D-I-V-O-R-C-E” in 1968.
This was Jones‘ comeback song after years of trouble with the law and addiction. He got a big career boost when it won Single of the Year at the CMA awards and took a Grammy for Best Male Country Vocal Performance.
The week after Jones’ death, the song re-entered the Hot Country Songs chart. As of November 13, 2013, the single has sold 521,000 copies in the United States. And since 2008, it has been preserved by the Library of Congress into the National Recording Registry.
A Song; A Legend
The cerebral reaction to “He Stopped Loving Her Today” is that it embraces country music’s hallmarks and shows just how effective they can be. Because George Jone’s performance was so stellar, it’s a hard song for someone else to recreate the same magic.
But, Dolly Parton stepped up the plate and delivered a captivating performance along with Vince Gill and Keith Urban. The crowd certainly enjoyed hearing it at a benefit for The Country Music Museum and Hall of Fame.
Dolly joins Keith and Vince for a benefit for The Country Music Museum and Hall of Fame on October 5, 2010, in Nashville, Tennessee. The artists were asked to do a song from one of their “hero’s” catalog. Dolly chose a George Jones‘s classic.
Watch the video below and don’t forget to share.
Dolly Parton, George Jones, He Stopped Loving Her Today, Keith Urban, Vince Gill
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Morgan Wallen Made History, Surpassing Garth Brooks, Billy Ray Cyrus, and More
- Meet Dolly Parton Siblings Inside Their Big Family Filled With Passion For Music
- Shania Twain and Husband Frédéric Thiébaud: The Story of Healing and Love
- Daughter Of Singer Hank Williams Jr. Dies At Age 27 In A Car Crash
- 15 Top Kenny Chesney Songs Over 25 Years of Country Music
- Meet the four-time divorcee, Sam Elliott’s Wife, Katharine Ross