With words by Fanny Crosby and music by Phoebe Knapp, these duos brought to us one of the most endeared hymns of all times. Fanny once visited her friend Phoebe, and she played her a tune. She then asked, “What does it say to say to Fanny?” To which the latter replied, “Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine.”
Fanny Crosby, blind though she was, had not thought about her condition as an impairment. Rather, she considered it as something that was just serving its purpose. She said,
“I verily believe that God intended that I should live my days in physical darkness so that I might be better prepared to sing His praise and lead others from spiritual darkness into eternal light. With sight I would have been too distracted to have written thousands of hymns.”
Such are words that could only possibly come out from a pure spirit; not wallowing in self-pity and without bitterness. She embraced what she had become and used her skills in songwriting to give praise to her Lord. And the Lord, who is faithful, rewarded Fanny’s faith. She could have written songs as buds to bless people’s hearts, yet God came and multiplied their impact worldwide.
Today, the song is played and sang on thousands of churches worldwide. For those releasing gospel albums, “Blessed Assurance” is a no-brainer. It goes straight to the list. The song expresses a deep sentimentalism at the realization of the grand beauty in obtaining Jesus. It stands to reason that it remained a favorite of many; particularly by new believers and by seasoned Christians.
Listen to two of my favorite country singers deliver their smooth version of “Blessed Assurance.” They are getting old as we are, so let us enjoy them while they are still around.
First stop is Randy Travis.
And now, here is Alan Jackson.
Alan Jackson, gospel, hymn, Raandy Travis, songwriters
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Shania Twain and Husband Frédéric Thiébaud: The Story of Healing and Love
- Meet the four-time divorcee, Sam Elliott’s Wife, Katharine Ross
- Daughter Of Singer Hank Williams Jr. Dies At Age 27 In A Car Crash
- Meet Dolly Parton Siblings Inside Their Big Family Filled With Passion For Music
- A Look Back at Anne Murray, Her Agonizing Struggle with Drugs and Divorce
- Morgan Wallen Made History, Surpassing Garth Brooks, Billy Ray Cyrus, and More