Just like any other genre, Country music also has many subgenres, one of which is Outlaw Country. The said subgenre all began in the 1970s and 1980s, during a period known as the outlaw movement.
Many country music fans have always adored outlaw music. Legends such as Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, and Hank Williams Sr. are among the most well-known country musicians that were able to release outstanding songs under this subgenre.
However, we are now in the twenty-first century. It’s logical that modern outlaw country songs are beginning to emerge.
So, if you’re curious about which songs are regarded to be the best new outlaw country songs today, simply scroll down, and you might find a song that you’d want to add to your own personal playlist.
1. Sleeping on the Blacktop by Colter Wall
“Sleeping on The Blacktop” is taken from his 2015 EP, Imaginary Appalachia. Colter Wall sang the song in such a way that anyone who hears it can feel the rhythm in their bones. It may be due to its distinct blend of literary origins in classic American folk music.
2. Unfortunate Kind by BJ Barnham
The song was released in 2016 as part of his album Rockingham. It has the artistic touch that many listeners like. The song was performed in such a way that it appeared as if BJ Barnham was just narrating a heartfelt story.
3. 14 Miles from Home by Six Market Blvd
The song, which was released in 2012, was very relatable to many people. When we’re away from home, that’s generally when we genuinely learn to know ourselves. The song appeared on his album called Shake It Down.
4. As Good as It Gets by Adam Wakefield
Adam Wakefield’s album Gods and Ghosts, which was released in 2018, was a masterpiece that many people adored. The song is about being happy regardless of the circumstances.
5. Where Do You Want It by Whitey Morgan and the 78’s
The song has an uplifting tone that any country fan would like. It was released in 2010 and is one of the songs that would be suitable to play at a pub on a night out.
6. High Cost of Living by Jamey Johnson
The song was released in 2008 as part of his album That Lonesome Song. “High Cost of Living” is about a man who has lost sight of what is essential in life, such as loving oneself, remaining well, living life with purpose, and being the person one wants to be.
7. 7 & 7 by Turnpike Troubadours
Under the album called Diamonds & Gasoline, “7 & 7” was released back in 2010, together with 11 other great songs.
8. Ringling Road by William Clark Green
The song was part of William’s album called Ringling Road, which was released back in 2015. For some fun fact, according to William, the song is actually about his time living in Eastland, Texas.
9. Oklahoma Smokeshow by Zach Bryan
The song was released in 2022 under Zach Bryan’s album called Summertime Blues. The song has a touch of a classic yet modern feel to country music, making it one of the new songs you can listen to.
10. Highway Queen by Nikki Lane
The song was released back in 2017 under New West Records. It was written by Lane herself, together with Ryan Tyndell. The song was part of her album, also called “Highway Queen.”
Without question, Country Music is one of the best music genres out there. Throughout the years, millions and millions of listeners fell in love with it. And there is no doubt it will stay the same in the coming years.
That’s why here are more of the best new outlaw country songs you might want to check out.
- Charlie Robison – My Hometown
- Western Centuries – Off The Shelf
- Dalton Domino – Dallas
- Them Dirty Roses – Whiskey in My Cup
- Sunny Sweeney – I Feel Like Hank Williams Tonight
- Jason Boland and the Stragglers – When I’m Stoned
- Vincent Neil Emerson – Fried Chicken & Evil Women
- Cody Johnson – ‘Til You Can’t
- Kolton Moore and the Clever Few – Mine All Mine
- Parker McCollum – Young Man’s Blues
- Jason Isbell – Super 8
- Cody Jinks – Same Kind of Crazy as Me
- Mike and the Moonpies – Steak Night at the Prairie Rose
- Western Centuries – Off The Shelf
- Sturgill Simpson – Keep It Between the Lines
- Zach Bryan – Condemned
- Ryan Bingham – Jingle and Go
Here are some of our suggestions if you’re stuck for tunes to listen to today. You wouldn’t be sorry if you chose any of the best new outlaw country songs on the list above.
Adam Wakefield, BJ Barnham, Colter Wall, nikki lane, Six Market Blvd, Zach Bryan