The members of Lady A – Dave Haywood, Charles Kelley, and Hillary Scott – got the surprise of their lives when their longtime friend and fellow artist Darius Rucker invited them to join the Grand Ole Opry. Plus, it was announced that their membership is effective immediately!
The emotional moment happened during the taping for the forthcoming NBC primetime special Grand Ole Opry: 95 Years of Country Music on Thursday evening (January 21).
Rucker, who is also a Grand Ole Opry member, delivered the big news while the award-winning trio was being introduced for their performance.
“What can you say about three friends of yours who together have become one of the biggest groups in Country Music history?” Rucker said. “Well, how about this? This trio are multi-platinum superstars, seven-time Grammy Award winners, and seven-time CMA Award winners too. And I feel so honored to stand here in the Opry House and hope they accept the invitation I am thrilled to be offering them tonight. So, what do you say, Lady A? Would you like to become members of the Opry?”
The trio were all shocked, surprised, and can’t help but get emotional, especially Scott, who said: “This is the best surprise we could ever ask for. I’ve been coming here since I was a little girl, so to say we are honored is an understatement. We are so truly grateful to officially be a part of this amazing family.”
We will all be able to see the moment unfold on Sunday, February 14 at 9 p.m. ET/PT on NBC, along with the performances from some of the biggest stars in country music. The two-hour special vowed that it would be an “unforgettable night of music,” and it will be hosted by fellow Opry members Brad Paisley and Blake Shelton.
But in the meantime, you can watch Lady A’s surprising moment in the video below.
- Ryan Upchurch Responds to Luke Combs’ Apology and Calls Him ‘F—ing Sissy’
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Narvel Blackstock’s New Girlfriend Is His Ex-Wife’s Close Friend
- Where are the Mandrell Sisters Now after Four Decades?
- What Happened To George Strait’s Daughter Jennifer Strait
- Randy Travis Divorce With Ex-Wife Elizabeth Hatcher Travis Tops Nastiest Divorce in Industry
- Who Are Johnny Cash’s Children and Where Are They Now?